forty-eight

Brendon walks downstairs to the kitchen and sees a pile of pancakes sitting at his spot at the table and his parents standing next to it. His parents smile at him.

" Happy birthday Bren!" His parents cheer. Brendon lets out a laugh and walks up to his parents. He gives them hugs.

" Thanks dad and papa." Brendon says. Niall kisses the top of his head.

" Alright baby, eat up! I don't want these pancakes to go to waste." Niall says. Brendon sits down and starts eating his breakfast. Niall sits down next to him. Liam stays standing up.

" Do we know how Melody is doing?" Brendon asks, mid bite.

" Charlotte says she's done some major improvement. Dad and I will be checking up on her today." Liam says. Brendon sinks back in his chair. He was upset because his parents weren't going to spend his birthday with him. Granted he was in school for majority of the day and Melody did need their dad's, but it still hurt him.

Niall sensed Brendon sadden. He places his hand on Brendon's.

" We promise we'll be home to take you out to dinner. You can bring whoever you want over today after school, whether it be Sage or Matt or both. I'm sorry Melody is still in the hospital, but I want you to have a good day no matter what." Niall says. Brendon gives Niall a small smile.

" Thanks dad." Brendon says. Brendon continues to eat. Niall looks at the time on his phone.

" Shouldn't DJ be up by now?" Niall asks.

" I'll go get him. You stay put." Liam says, kissing Niall on top of his head. Liam walks out of the kitchen. Niall looks back at Brendon.

" So, where do you want to go out for dinner tonight?" Niall asks.

" Not sure, but I'll think about it." Brendon says. Drew and Liam walk into the kitchen. Drew walks to Brendon and ruffles up his hair.

" Happy birthday baby brother!" Drew exclaims. Brendon lets out a laugh and stops Drew from messing up his hair.

" Thanks DJ." Brendon says. Drew steals a pancake off of Brendon's plate. He starts to eat it.

" So, ya ready to go?" Drew asks.

" Not until you brush your teeth. Sage doesn't want to kiss your nasty mouth." Niall says. Drew lets out a groan.

" You're so gross dad. Don't talk about Sage like that." Drew says.

" But is he wrong?" Brendon says. Drew just shook his head and walked out of the kitchen. Brendon finished up his pancakes and looked at his dad's.

" Thank you for the breakfast." Brendon says.

" We do anything for our birthday boy." Liam says. Brendon stands up and walks out of the kitchen to the bathroom. He found Drew in there brushing his teeth. So Brendon started to brush his teeth.

After they were both done, they walked out of the bathroom and towards the garage door. They slipped on their shoes and grabbed their backpacks.

" Bye dad! Bye papa!" The brothers call out at the same time.

" Bye boys! Have a good day at school!" Niall calls back. The two brothers open the garage door and walk to Drew's car. Drew gets in the front while Brendon gets in the back. Drew starts the car and starts driving towards the Tomlinson household.

The boys didn't really talk because there wasn't much to talk about. They were both worried about Melody and they both knew it.

When Drew gets to the Tomlinson household, he parks the car in front of the driveway and waits for Sage to come running out. Sage runs out and opens the back door. She jumps in and throws her arms around Brendon.