sixty-five

Brendon, Drew, and Sage sat impatient on the couch as Niall and Liam chased Melody around the house. Melody knows how to walk and ever since then, no one can get a hold of her. They were chasing her because Brendon had a band concert to go to and the whole family wanted to go. But at this rate, Brendon is going to be late/never make the concert at all.

" Melody, please stop running." Niall begs. Melody giggles because she thought it was a game.

Brendon looks at the time on his phone. He gets angry because he's supposed to be at the school in like 10 minutes.

" Dad and papa, I have to leave now." Brendon says.

" Sorry Brendon. Melody isn't cooperating." Liam says. Brendon looks at Drew.

" Then can you drive me?" Brendon asks.

" Wait, that's a good idea. Boys and Sage, leave." Niall says. The three stand up from the couch. They walk to the door where their shoes were. They get them on and start to leave.

Melody stops running and looks at the door. With her not in motion, Liam takes the time to pick her up. She gives Liam a little pout.

" Papa." Melody pouts. The parents follow the teenagers out of the door.

" Don't give me that look Melody. You weren't being very good." Liam says. He places Melody in her car seat as everyone gets in the car. Once Melody was safely in the car, Liam gets in himself. He starts the car and makes the drive to the high school.

" I'm sorry we're a little late Brendon." Niall says.

" It's whatever." Brendon says, looking out the car window.

" Dada." Melody pouts.

" What Melody?" Niall asks.

" No." Melody pouts.

" I know you don't want to be sitting in your seat, but you need to. We'll be there soon." Niall says.

After a car ride with Melody complaining the whole time, Liam finally made it to the high school. He quickly parks and everyone gets out. Brendon quickly runs into school so he could prepare before the show starts. Brendon runs into the band room and starts preparing his french horn. Ella and Ava walk up to him.

" Brendon, where the hell have you been? The concert is about to start!" Ella says.

" My parents were busy with my baby sister and it was just a rush." Brendon says.

" Well, we're glad you're here now. Here," Ava says, handing Brendon his music sheet. Brendon smiles.

" Thank you Ava." Brendon says.

" Now lets go!" Ella exclaims. The three gather their instruments and walk to the auditorium. They sit in their designated sections. Brendon smiles at the 3 other students with french horns. Brendon places his music sheet on the music stand. His teacher stands near the curtain in front of the students as the curtain opens.

The teacher starts talking about what the students plan on playing. Brendon tried to see where his family sat, but couldn't see anything as it was too dark in the audience to see. The teachers gets the students attention. He counts them off and the students play the first song for the concert.

In the audience, Niall and Liam fond over their son. They were very proud of him. Melody was sitting on Liam's lap very unamused. She didn't want to be sitting down.

Without Liam realizing it, Melody crawls off his lap. She starts running around the auditorium. Sage catches notice of her and mentions to Drew.

" DJ, isn't that Melody?" Sage asks, pointing to Melody running down an aisle. Drew lets out a sigh.

" Yeah." Drew says defeated. Drew turns to Niall," Dad, Melody's running away."

Niall snaps his head at Drew," What?"

Drew points to Melody who was near an exit door. Niall lets out an angry groan. He pushes Liam a little bit. Liam looks at him weird.

" What?" Liam asks.

" Get your arse up and help me get Melody." Niall says. Liam notices that she wasn't on his lap. They stand up and start chasing after Melody.

" Melody!" Niall and Liam whisper. Drew slams his head into his hand. He felt embarrassed. People started to focus on them rather then the concert.

On stage, Brendon sees two people chasing after a baby in the audience. Then he realized it was his parents and Melody. He tried to focus on his music, but he just couldn't. It makes him mad and embarrassed.

Other than Niall and Liam chasing Melody, Brendon did great at the concert.

Brendon, Ella, and Ava went to put their instruments away in the band room after the concert was over.

" Did you guys see those parents trying to catch their baby? That was so funny! It was the highlight of the concert." Ella says. Brendon quiets down.

" Right? Learn to control your kid!" Ava says. Brendon now felt worse than he did before. Brendon just wanted to go home and forget about this night.

Brendon quietly puts instrument away. His friends and him walk out of the band room and to the parents. Brendon says goodbye to his friends and walk up to his family.

" You did great baby." Niall says. Brendon gives him a small smile.

" Thanks." Brendon says.

" I'm so proud of my best friend." Sage says throwing her arms around Brendon. Brendon lets out giggles.

" Alright, lets go. Melody is getting antsy." Liam says bouncing Melody in his arms.

" Hasn't stopped her before." Brendon says. He storms out the door, leaving his family behind and confused. They walk out of the school and to the car. Brendon was patiently standing by the car.

" Bren, baby, are you okay?" Niall asks.

" Never better. I just want to go home." Brendon says. Niall gives Liam a weird look.

Everyone gets in the car. Liam starts the car once he was done putting Melody in her seat. He starts to drive back home. Niall turns around to face the children.

" Brendon, please tell me what's wrong." Niall says.

" You guys are terrible parents. You don't know how to control Melody and it's embarrassing! My friends told me that you running around the audience trying to catch Melody was the highlight of the concert! You were clearly distracting to people! People shouldn't have been focused on you making a fool out of yourselves, they should've been focused on our music. Don't try to plan on coming to my music concerts again." Brendon says. He stares out the window leaving everyone in the car in awe.

" Baby, we're sorry we ruined your concert. We didn't mean to." Niall apologizes. Brendon ignores him.

Niall looks at Liam, " Were we really that distracting?"

" Talking at a loud whisper trying to catch your toddler in a quiet auditorium is very distracting, so good job guys." Drew says. Niall turns back to his kids.

" I promise papa and I will make it up to both of you. Especially you Brendon. This isn't going to happen again." Niall says. Brendon continues to ignore him. Niall lets out a sigh and faces forward.

It was a quiet car ride back home. Once home, the kids went upstairs to their room. Niall looks at Liam with a sad look.

They definitely had to make it up to the boys.

***

Hi everyone! I'm on a short break for school (because I don't have a spring break because of COVID) which is nice but I would like a week to not deal with school.

I need a mental break.

Anyway, I hope you are okay and safe. I also hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Thank you for reading. I love you all so much.

***