sixty-six

" Alright boys, what do you want to do today?" Niall asks his sons. Everyone was gathered at the table eating breakfast.

" Play video games." Drew and Brendon say at the same time. Liam lets out a chuckle.

" C'mon boys. We want to do something together as a family." Liam says.

" That's gross." Drew says.

" And besides, where's Melody?" Brendon asks. Niall and Liam look at each other and then back at the boys.

" We want to make it up to you guys from the band concert, so we dropped Melody off at the Tomlinson's. We want this day to be about you." Niall says.

" Are you for real?" Drew asks.

" Yes. We realize that Melody has been difficult but that's because she's becoming a toddler. We still want to be with you, but with Melody being difficult, she needs more attention. So today we're focusing on you boys." Liam says.

" So what do you want to do today?" Niall asks.

" You do realize that Brendon and I aren't going to agree on anything to do." Drew says.

" That's okay. You guys can take turns picking something out to do." Niall says. Brendon stands up from the table.

" Yeah, I'm gonna pass." Brendon says. He walks out of the kitchen. Drew stands up.

" For once, I agree with Brendon. I'm out." Drew says. He walks out of the kitchen. Niall quickly stands up and follows his boys. He didn't see them in the living room so they probably went to their room. Niall walks upstairs to the boy's room.

He walks in and finds them setting up video games. Niall sits on the ground in front of them.

" Boys please. Papa and I just want to spend time with you. You're our big boys and soon you'll grow up and leave us and we won't be able to be with you anymore. Papa and I just want to be with you, especially since DJ is leaving for uni in a couple months." Niall says, tears welling up in his eyes. Drew and Brendon look at each other.

They hated seeing their dad cry.

They look back at their dad," We'll do it."

" Really?" Niall asks.

" Yeah. I guess you're right about us getting older and not seeing you as much." Drew says. Niall holds his arms out for a hug. Drew and Brendon gladly hug him. Niall kisses the top of their heads.

" Thank you boys." Niall says. He stands up and walks towards the door. He faces the boys," Now think of something to do together and come downstairs when you're ready."

He walks out of the room. Drew lets out a sigh.

" What do you want to do?" Drew asks.

" Maybe we could go mini golfing or something like that." Brendon says.

" That actually doesn't sound that bad. So let's go tell dad." Drew says. Drew and Brendon walk out of their room. They walk downstairs to see their dad's on the couch. Niall perks up when they step in the room.

" So did we decide on something?" Niall asks.

" We're going mini golfing." Drew says.

" Oh, that sounds like fun. We can eat lunch after we're done." Liam says.

" Alright, lets go boys." Niall says. Niall and Liam stand up from the couch. The four of them walk to the shoes. They slip their shoes on. They walk to the garage and get in the car. Liam starts the car and starts driving to the nearest mini golf course. Niall turns to the boys.

" I'm really glad you guys agreed to this." Niall says.

" We would do anything for you dad." Brendon says. Niall looks at his phone to see Harry calling. Niall answers his phone.

" Hello?" Niall answers.

" I'm just checking in with Melody. She's doing good and Larry loves playing with her." Harry says.

" That's good. Thank you Harry." Niall says. They continued to talk. Liam tried to get Niall's attention.

" Ni, get off the phone. Remember what we talked about?" Liam butts in.

" Oh shit, right." Niall says to Liam. He talks into the phone," Sorry Haz, but I gotta go. I promised I would spend the day with my boys without Melody. I'll see you later."

Niall hangs up the phone. He looks at Liam who was giving him a look to show that Niall was in trouble.

" Sorry Li." Niall says.

" Tell the boys. You want to spend time with them." Liam says. Niall turns to the boys.

" I'm sorry for taking that phone call. I promise I will keep my focus on you." Niall says.

" That's okay dad." Drew says.

Liam gets to the mini golf course. He parks the car and everybody gets out. They walk to the stand to get golf balls and clubs.

" Hi, how many?" The worker says at the stand.

" Four please." Liam says. The worker hands Liam four golf clubs and four different colored balls. They also hand him a card to keep track and a mini pencil.

" Start at hole one and work your way through until hole eighteen." The worker says. Liam nods his head. He walks up to the family.

" Alright guys, here's our clubs and balls." Liam says.

" I call that blue one!" Drew says and immediately grabs the golf ball from Liam's hand. Brendon gives Drew a dirty look.

" I wanted the blue one." Brendon mumbles. Brendon grabs the pink golf ball. Niall grabs the green one and Liam stays with orange. Liam hands out the golf clubs.

" Alright, lets start at one." Liam says. The walk to the first hole.

" Who wants to go first?" Niall asks.

" I'll show you guys how it's done." Drew says. He steps up to the first hole. He stands at the beginning and places his ball down. He swings the club and hits the ball. The ball goes pass the hole and stops next to it.

" Oh, you showed us." Brendon mocks. Drew gives him a dirty look. Brendon goes next and gets a hole-in-one. Brendon smirks at Drew.

" And that's how it's done." Brendon says. Drew rolls his eyes.

Niall goes next and misses the hole completely. For liking golf, you would think he would be great at mini golf. Liam goes last and gets a hole-in-one. Drew and Niall finish the hole and Niall writes down the scores. They move onto the next hole.

And at every hole, Niall was glad they did this. He really misses his boys and hanging out with them brought back memories. They bonded more while playing mini golf. He made it up to his boys and now they can move on to the next part of their lives. Of course Niall will be there every step of the way.

***

So I've been home for the last couple days and I realize I don't really update when I'm home. I don't know why though.

But I'll be back at college soon and hopefully with more updates and the end of the book! Oh, I plan on having at least four more chapters before ending this book. Very exciting, but sad at the same time.

I don't think I have anything else to say. If there's anything you would like to say, feel free to comment!

Thank you for reading. I love you all so much.

***