forty

Brendon was sitting next to his dad waiting for Drew to be ready for school. It was the first day back from winter break and let's just neither boy wanted to go back. So Drew was taking his sweet time getting ready.

" Ready to go back baby?" Niall asks.

" No. I would rather die." Brendon says.

" Now that's not cool. Try to make it a good day though, okay?" Niall says.

" I can't promise anything." Brendon says. Liam walks down the stairs with a big smile on his face.

" Good news Payne family. Lani is coming over this weekend." Liam says. He walks over to Niall and pecks his lips.

" That is good news. We haven't seen her for a while." Niall says. Brendon looks at his parents with a questioning look.

" Since we have a sister coming, and since Lani doesn't visit us often, is Lani gonna have to give up her room?" Brendon asks. The parents look at each other. They really didn't think about it. The parents look back at Brendon.

" Probably." They both says. Drew walks out of the bathroom. He looks at Brendon.

" Lets go." Drew says. He walks to the garage door, leaving Brendon behind. Brendon and the parents look at each other with confused looks.

" Did he just speak to you?" Liam asks.

" He hasn't spoken to me in weeks." Brendon says.

" Brendon! Now!" Drew yells. Brendon scrambles to stand up and grabbed his backpack. He slipped on his shoes and ran into the garage. Brendon went for the back seat. He got in and Drew pulled out of the driveway.

" Are you gonna pick up Sage?" Brendon asks. Drew starts driving to the Tomlinson neighborhood.

" If I wasn't, I wouldn't be driving to her house." Drew says. Brendon quietly sat back in his seat. At least Drew was talking to him.

An awkward silence fills the car. And Brendon didn't like it.

" So, did you hear Lani is coming over the weekend?" Brendon asks.

" I did. That's gonna be exciting because I miss her." Drew says. He pulls into the Tomlinson driveway and Sage comes running out. She runs to the back and opens the car. She slides in next to Brendon.

" Hi boys." Sage says. Drew looks at her with a pout.

" You're not gonna sit next to me?" Drew pouts.

" Maybe another time hun. I wanna sit next to Brendon." Sage says. Drew continues to pout as he pulled out of the driveway and down the street and to school. Brendon could feel himself cringe. It was gonna take a while for him to get used to his best friend dating his brother.

" So, anything new Brendon?" Sage asks.

" Nope. No wait! Our dads picked out a name for our sister!" Brendon says. Sage smiles a small smile. Drew already told her what the name was, but she didn't want to bring down Brendon's energy.

" What is it?" Sage asks.

" Melody Kate." Brendon says," Isn't that so pretty?"

" Yeah, it's really pretty." Sage says. The trio eventually gets to school. Drew parks the car and the three get out. Sage stands in the middle while the Payne brothers stand on each side of her. Drew slides his hand in hers as they walk into school.

" If anyone gives you shit about us, tell me about it and I'll shut them up." Drew says. Sage quickly kisses his cheek. Brendon tried to hold his gag back.