fifty-seven

" Brendon! Come here! I have tea!" Brendon's band friend, Ella, exclaims as soon as he steps into the band room. Brendon walks over to his friends.

It was the new school year and the band had new sets to learn for marching band. Brendon was glad to be finally playing his french horn again. He was also glad to be with his band friends again. He loves Sage, but he feels different when he hangs out with his band friends.

" What is it?" Brendon asks.

" Did you know your brother and Sage are dating?" Ella asks.

" Sadly, yes." Brendon says.

" Well, there's a rumor going around about how they got caught doing it in a custodial closet." Ella says.

Brendon scoffs," I know my best friend. She isn't ready to do that yet."

" I don't know Brendon, they seem like they have." Ava says.

" Eh, I don't really want to know. It's my brother, I don't care about his sex life." Brendon says.

" But it's also your friend." Ava says.

" I don't want to talk about it anymore." Brendon says, shaking his head.

" So, what happened between you and Matt?" Ella asks.

" We're not seeing each other anymore. Not sure why, but I don't want it to bother me." Brendon says.

" Men ain't shit." Ella says.

" You can say that again." Brendon says. The band director comes into the room so Brendon grabs his french horn. He goes to his section and band practice started.

~*~*~

Brendon sat outside and waited for Drew to be done with football practice so they could go home. It was a nice day out so he decided to be outside.

Someone walks up to him and he looks up. He sees that it is Sage.

" Hey Sage." Brendon says.

" Hi. Mind if I sit?" Sage asks, mentioning toward Brendon sitting. Brendon shrugs his shoulders. Sage sits down. Sage can sense his sad mood.

" What's wrong Bren?" Sage asks.

" I heard a rumor about you today. It wasn't good." Brendon says. Sage could sense where this was going.

" Was it a bad one?" Sage asks.

" I'm not sure if you want to know." Brendon says.

Sage places her hand on Brendon's shoulder in a comforting way," We're best friends. It's okay."

" One of my friends told me you were caught with DJ doing it here at school." Brendon says. Sage stays quiet. That's exactly what happened.

Brendon gives her a weird look.

" Why are you not telling me that it's not true?" Brendon asks.

" Because it's kind of true. And by kind of, I am mean it's true." Sage quietly says.

Brendon got really angry. He didn't like when his best friend lied to him. He stands up and faces Sage.