forty-five

Niall sits straight up in bed. He felt a squeezing pain in his lower abdomen, a pain he hasn't felt before. He knew something was wrong with Melody.

Niall shakes Liam to wake up, " Li, wake up."

" Hmm?" Liam mumbles, sleep in his voice.

" Liam, I think there's something wrong with Melody." Niall says. That woke Liam up.

" What?" Liam asks, also sitting up in bed.

" I think there's- Ow!" Niall cries and clutches his stomach.

" C'mon Ni, lets get you to the hospital." Liam says. He stands up out of bed and walks to Niall's side of the bed.

" But what about the boys?" Niall asks. Liam helps him stand up.

" They'll be fine. They can take care of themselves. Right now we need to take care of you and Melody." Liam says. Niall nods his head, too in pain to argue. They start making their way downstairs. They make it to the car and Liam starts driving to the hospital.

Niall gets tears in his eyes, " Liam, what if we lose her?"

Liam slips his hand not on the wheel through Niall's hand. He had to comfort his husband.

" She's going to make it." Liam says.

" Li, I'm so worried." Niall says. Liam kisses their connected hands.

" Everything will be okay Ni. There's no need to get worked up. We need to stay calm for Melody." Liam says. Niall nods his head.

The two boys eventually made it to the hospital. With it being early in the morning, their was light traffic, so getting to the hospital was a breeze. They walk into the hospital as fast as they can. They walk up to the receptionist.

" How can I help you?" The receptionist asks.

" I think there's something wrong with my baby." Niall says. The receptionist nods their head.

" I'll get you a room immediately." They said. They push a button and a nurse comes by with a wheelchair. Liam helps Niall sit down. The nurse wheels Niall to a room and Liam follows. The nurse helps Niall get into bed and puts on the necessary things to make sure him and Melody are okay. Liam sits in the chair next to Niall. The two just wait for someone to check up on Niall.

Niall looks at Liam," Can you please text the boys and tell them where we are? I don't want them freaking out when they wake up and we're not there."

Liam nods his head and looks at his phone. Niall's pain continues. He just wants the pain to go away.

Doctor Long walks in holding a clipboard.

" I was not expecting you to be here this early Niall." Doctor Long tries to joke.

" Please just check if Melody is okay. Everything hurts." Niall says. Doctor Long gives Niall a look of concern. He walks to Niall and starts checking both of their vitals. Doctor Long's face drops. He runs to the hallway and starts calling for some nurses. Niall and Liam look at each other. This wasn't good.

" What's happening?" Liam asks. Nurses come running in and start doing things to Niall. Everything was overwhelming that either boy couldn't comprehend what was happening.

" Niall's body is rejecting the baby." Doctor Long says. Both boys look at him in shock.

" No, that can't be right. You said-"

" I know what I said, but we don't have time. She has to come out now or you'll lose her." Doctor Long cuts off Niall.

" But she can't yet! She still has like two months to grow!" Liam says.

" Not if Niall's body is rejecting her." Doctor Long says, " Now are you coming to the operation or what?"

Liam nods his head. The nurses and Doctor Long move Niall's bed to the operating room while Liam tried his best to stick with them. They get into the operating room and Liam puts on scrubs. They start numbing Niall's lower body and they start the operation. Liam stands by Niall's face. Liam kisses the tears streaming down his face.

" She's going to be okay Ni. If she's strong like you, she's going to be okay." Liam says.

" But this is all my fault. I thought this pregnancy would be fine, but I ruined it again." Niall cries. Liam kisses his forehead.

" Stop Ni. You can't control your body. Things will be okay and she's going to be okay." Liam says.

" We're starting to lose her." One of the nurse says. More tears appear in Niall's eyes. Even Liam had tears come to his.

" Not on my watch. Niall, I'm giving you a baby." Doctor Long says. They continue to tug at Niall's stomach. Both parents didn't have any words. They just cried and Liam held onto Niall, hoping Melody would be okay. They didn't know if she was going to be okay at this point.

Niall feels one last tug and a loud cry fills the room. Liam looks up pass the curtain and sees Doctor Long holding onto a small baby. Liam relaxes and looks back at Niall.

" She's here Ni." Liam whispers. Niall smiles.

" Melody's okay?" Niall asks.

" She will be. We just need to take her to the NICU." One of the nurses says. Niall continues to feel tugs at his stomach. Doctor Long looks at the other nurses.

" Alright, he's all good. Lets get him into recovery." Doctor Long says. They bring the curtain down and wheel Niall back to the same room as before. Liam followed behind.

Once back in the same room, two nurses start to put needles and IV's into Niall's arms. Liam sits in the chair next to Niall's bed. Niall looks at one of the nurses.

" When will we be able to see Melody?" Niall asks.

" We want her situated in the NICU for a couple hours. You need to be on bed rest for a couple days, but the other father is welcome to see her in a few hours." The nurse says.

" Do they know what's wrong with her?" Liam asks.

" For a premature baby, she's pretty well developed. But they're still going to be cautious and do things for a normal premature baby." The nurse says. Both parents nod their heads. The two nurses walk out of the room. Niall lets out a sigh.

" What's wrong Ni?" Liam asks, already sensing there's something wrong with him.

" I just, I'm glad she's going to be okay." Niall says.

" I am too Ni. Before you even know it, she's going to be home in our arms." Liam says. Niall smiles, enjoying the image of holding Melody in his arms.

" Li, what time is it?" Niall asks. Liam looks at his phone. He laughs because he sees the messages from his boys.

" It's 7:20." Liam says.

" Whatcha laughing at?" Niall asks.

" The boys are up and confused." Liam says.

" Didn't you tell them I was in the hospital?" Niall asks.

" Apparently they didn't read the messages. I told them though that you're fine and Melody will be fine." Liam says," They can visit you and her after school."

Niall nods his head. He just hopes that Melody will be okay.

***

Hi!!!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Even though Melody was born early, she's finally here! I'm excited!

I don't think I have anything to say, so I'm just gonna end here.

If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to comment.

Thank you guys for reading. I love you all.

***