56

ONE YEAR LATER

"If you'd let me use vamp speed, I would have beat you the very first time." Simon's voice filled my ears when I walked into the training room, standing by the pillar, watching Jace and Simon train, two bags of food behind my back.

"You gotta learn how to fight correctly first- it's not all about speed." Jace tapped his nose with his staff, "Boop, boop."

"When do I get to use real swords?" Simon questions, hitting his staff against Jace's.

Jace smirks, "When you can beat me with sticks."

"You mean today?" Simon fought back.

Jace teases him again, rubbing his staff against Simon's nose, "Boop, boop."

Simon breathes out when Jace got the upper hand on him, "Maybe not."

"I gotta say, all that work is paying off." Jace walked over and put the staff's away, "If any other Shadowhunter was training you, you'd have beaten 'em by now."

"That's mean." I finally decided to speak up, softly smiling at them when their heads perked up at the sound of my voice, "I'd say I'm a great instructor."

"Hey- I didn't notice you come in." Jace walked over to me, grabbing my face and pressing his lips into mine for a few moments, "And- we always get distracted during our training sessions- so, I wouldn't know if you've learned or not."

"I wonder why I'm always distracted." I shot him a playful look, before revealing the food in my hands, "I brought lunch-"

"Oh- yes!" Simon quickly walked over to us.

"This is for you and Iz-" I handed Simon the bag to share with my parabatai, as he thanked me, leaving us, as I scrunched my nose at Jace, "This one's for us."

Jace began, "Did you get the-"

"Yes, I got the Mu Shu Pork." I placed the bag in his hands, "I know you love the Mu Shu Pork."

"Almost as much as I love you-" Jace pecked my lips a few times, then grabbed my hand and pulled me to one of the benches, sitting down with me, opening up the bag, "How are you?"

"I'm- alright." I took the box of noodles he handed me, then lightly pushed some hair out of his face, "Wow- my fiancé is so pretty-"

Jace looks up at me with a playful smile, "Still waiting on making that husband-"

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that-" I slowly set the noodles down, folding my hands, looking at him.

"You're not gonna dump me, are you?" Jace locked eyes with me, "Found someone better looking than me?"

"Oh, yeah-" I played along with his joke, "I've been with him on the side- I'm leaving you for him- sorry."

"Bummer-" Jace smirked at me just lightly, then set down his food on the ground, not even bothering to touch it as he was now invested in what I was saying, "What is it?"

I sigh, "I'm- sorry, for making you wait so long."

"It's okay- I understand." Jace grabs my hands, lightly shrugging, "You didn't want to get married without Clary. I get it-"

"It's not fair to you." I sigh quietly, moving closer to him so we sat right in front of each other, our legs on either side of the bench, "I can't wait forever."

"Don't stress it, okay?" Jace squeezes my hands gently, "Whenever you're ready."

"Jace, I check up on her- all the time- to make sure she's doing okay- I pray to the Angels every day that maybe one day she'll find her way back to us." My voice got quiet, small tears forming in my eyes, "She doesn't even remember who I am and I knew her before we came here-"

He nods slow and understandingly, "I know how much you're hurting- but, it's okay- I'm here for you."

"I miss her- so much, and I want her to be a part of my life more than anything- but, I can't put my life on pause because she's not here." A small tear fell, "Clary gave up everything so that I could be happy, and not being married to you isn't making me happy."

Jace stares at me, his eyes slightly widening at my words, "What are you saying, Zee?"

"I'm saying let's get married." I gave him a very small smile, "And I'm sorry that I didn't realize this sooner."

"You mean it?" Jace's eyes lit up quickly, "You wanna get married?"

"I wanna get married-" My smile only widened, nodding quickly at him, as he immediately pulled me into his embrace, pressing his lips into mine passionately, a smile on both of our lips.

THE END

authors note:

oh my god.

i've finally reached the end of this book. i genuinely don't know how to feel. i've never actually finished a book.

it's a very short chapter, and i'm sorry ! i didn't have the heart to end it the last chapter so i brought this part of the episode into a new chapter, just so there could be a little happy ending.

i know that no one cares enough to read this authors note, but, thank you so so so much for reading this book.

it was terrible at the beginning, but, whoever stuck with it, all over the place and to this day i still read back and cringe at the choices i made for little plots in this book, but- i'm so grateful for each and every single one of you, and i'm so happy i got to write this book.

it's my first shadowhunter book ever, so yes it's a little rough, but thank you for sticking around!

if you don't want to let go of zee and jace, you guys can go over and read redamancy! i have a lot of chapters left for that book, so you guys can have that serotonin there just as i will. (me casually self promoting, ignore it)

small note: (maybe i'll update this one day with a surprise bonus chapter with cute zace moments. who knows)

but, thank you for everything !

and thank you for 60k .

vote and comment loadsss ! :)