1

"Give me the professors' names and I- I will end them." Simon Lewis' voice fills my eyes as I walked over to the table him and Clary Fray were seated at, my hands holding the assigned drawings in my hands.

I shot him a look, as he quickly follows up, "You know, with- with a scathing e-mail to the dean."

"I mean- I was the one who got you back into art in the first place so if they wanna crush your dreams, they're going to have to go through me first." Clary quickly said from next to Simon, being equally as supportive.

A random thought flashes through my mind, about how Clary was so focused on getting me back into art, that she felt out of it herself and found interest in dance.

Guilt filled within me suddenly at the sudden thought, only to clear my throat and push it aside.

"Don't bother." I sat down on the stool, placing the letter in front of the both of them.

Simon picked it up, Clary reading over his shoulder, Simon letting out a gasp, "What?"

"Serious face- and the silence? Really, Zee?" Clary laughs, "Well played."

"I may be your step-sister, but I do know how to fool you." I lean my elbows against the table.

Clary and Simon share a laugh, Simon looking at my sketches once more, Clary's attention on me.

"You know, what's weird? They sort of liked my assigned work, but they flipped out over the drawings for our graphic novel." I told them, "I tried to tell them that it was there by accident, but- they told me they didn't believe in mistakes- and voila."

"You're welcome." Simon points at me, revealing that he was the one who had placed it with my work.

I laugh lightly, "This has officially gone down as the best birthday I've ever had."

"Which is why we are celebrating tonight." Clary exclaims, "Yes, with Maureen, after their show."

"So what's the deal with you and Maureen?" I looked at Simon, the waitress setting down our lattes and biscottis.

"What deal? No deal." Simon shook his head, "We sing together."

"You seriously don't know she's been crushing on you this whole time?" I gape at him, picking up the biscotti.

Simon stammers, "What? No-"

"Simon, how can someone as smart and perceptive as you not realize that the person sitting right there is in love with you?" Clary looks at him, laughing quietly.

"I guarantee you I'm not the only smart, perceptive person to make that mistake." Simon sips his latte, looking away from Clary and looking down.

I set my biscotti down onto the blank sheet of paper that was next to my latte, taking a sip of my latte also.

I look down, my eyes staring at what was once the biscotti, now a drawing of the biscotti on the sheet of paper.

Clary notices, "That's a latte."

"But I could have sworn I had a biscotti." My stare is fixed onto the biscotti drawing.

"Maybe you ate it really fast and didn't even notice." Simon suggests, "Happens to me all the time. When I'm happy- when I'm sad."

I shrug it off, laughing quietly.

"But I will replace your mythical biscotti- with an actual one." Clary places hers onto my plate.

"Thank you." I smile at her.

"You know what? Here's to you." Simon held up his latte, "L'chaim."