31

"Lindsay." I stop her in the hall, "Hey, have you seen Alec?"

"He should be in his office." Lindsay looked up at me, holding the her tablet in her hands, "I just saw him there."

I nod, turning for down the hall, "All right, thanks-"

Lindsay stops me, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, Jace and I just need to update him on something." I simply said, walking away from her, "Thank you."

I knocked on the door of Alec's office and entered, seeing Sebastian seated on one of the chairs.

"Sebastian?" Confusion fills me, "I was looking for Alec."

Sebastian clears his throat, "Yeah, as was I."

My eyebrows furrow, "What're you doing in here-"

Then, our phones buzz in unison, making me stop mid sentence.

"Looks like we've found him." I said after looking at my screen, "Urgent briefing at the Ops Center."

I put my phone away, "Perfect timing, huh?"

"Yeah." Sebastian got up and slowly followed me out the room, "Yeah, perfect timing."

-

Isabelle joins us a few minutes later, "Sorry I'm late, I've been looking everywhere for Max."

Isabelle looks between us all, "Has anyone seen him?"

"Have you tried the armory?" Jace questioned from next to me, "He's probably sharpening his blades for his first assignment."

Isabelle sighs, "I checked."

"We have more pressing matters." Alec interjects, "Thanks to Dot's help, we now have the Mortal Mirror."

Sebastian had a weird look on his face, making suspicion in me grow, "And you have it at the Institute, and it's well-guarded, I presume?"

"The Elite Guards are the only ones who know its location." Alec looks at him, "It's safest that way."

"Guys, Jonathan went after Elliot and Dot to get the mirror." Clary crosses her arms.

I nod, "Now that he knows we have it, he's undoubtedly going to come back for it."

"Agreed." Alec nods, "Report back with any possible scenarios by which Jonathan and Valentine could attempt a breach."

-

"What happened?" Alec immediately asked when him and I walked into the infirmary, where Max laid, hooked up to different machines, unconscious.

"I don't know." Isabelle admits, tears in her eyes, "I found him like this in my room."

"Oh, my God-" I stare at the boy that laid between us, "Max."

"We should send him to Idris." Alec looked up, "See what they can do."

Isabelle sniffled, "The medics said that in his condition, he won't be able to survive the transfer."

"Max-" Jace ran in with Sebastian and Clary, joining us around Max.

"Oh, God- Max." Clary softly gasped, staring at him with slight wide eyes.

"We checked the Institute's security camera footage." Jace told us, "Whoever attacked him is somehow covering their tracks."

Sebastian stares at Max and seemed not so affected by this, "Has he been able to talk?"

"Not yet." Isabelle shook her head, "He's unconscious."