37

"Clary, I'm really worried." I had my arms crossed, "He hasn't replied to my texts, or calls, or anything-"

Clary places a hand on my shoulder, "I'm sure he's fine, Zee."

"This isn't like Jace, Clary." I snipped back at her, sighing deeply, "What if something could've happened?"

Clary looked between me, "He's fine."

"And how would you know?" I shot back at her.

Clary was confused but she points behind me, "Because he's right there."

When I turn, I see Jace's back turned towards us, stood in front of the elevator, waiting for it to open.

"Jace!" I ran over to him, "What the hell is wrong with you? I've been worried sick-"

Jace doesn't reply, nor does he move.

"Jace?" Worry burns through my lungs as I placed a hand on his shoulder, "Jace, are you okay?"

Jace suddenly flinches, his eyes wide, looking around quickly, his eyes landing on me as he faced me, confused, "Zee-"

"Jace?" I repeated his name, confused as well, "I've been texting you since Izzy and I got back from the club- I've been so worried, where have you been?"

Jace breathes heavily, "I have no idea."

-

"The last thing I remember, I was- I was fighting Jonathan in the club, but- but, then he must've knocked me out, but it was-" Jace was stuttering with every word as him and I sat on the bench in front of Jace's bed.

"Jace." I stopped him, placing a hand on his knee, "Jonathan isn't the Owl."

"Izzy slashed him with her whip." I told him before he could reply, "The electrum he didn't burn."

Jace swallows, folding his hands, his elbows on his knees, "But- then the nightmares I've been having-"

"They're not signs." I moved my hand to his back, "Jonathan is dead- really."

"Then that's good." Jace began, then got up and walked forward, "Yeah, that's good."

"Jace, what is going on with you?" I burst, looking at my boyfriend, "Is it bringing you back? Is this my fault?-"

"No." Jace shook his head, "I'm- I'm fine."

"No, you're not!" I raise my voice unintentionally, standing up, "Look, we need to tell the others."

Jace faces me and shook his head, "No-"

"We need to get you some help." I turned for his bedroom door, beginning to walk for it, "And if you don't tell them, I will-"

"Zee!" Jace grabbed my hands, pulling me back over to the bench and seating me down, crouching in front of me, "Listen, you need to swear to me that you haven't told anyone else about this."

"I can't." I shot back at him, "Because I'm going to go tell all of our friends."

Jace denied, "No, you're not."

"Yes, I am." I stubbornly got up, "You're not changing my mind, Jace-"

"Of course you're not going to listen to me." Jace pulled me back down, "Because you just live to torture me, don't you?"

"Not everything is about you, Jace." I scoff lightly, then exhale deeply, "With an exception of this."

"Possibly, but- you have to admit that the majority of things are." Jace reasoned, "Zee, you can't tell anyone."