18

I sat on my bed, staring at the sweater in my hands.

A sweater that was my mother's.

I sniffled, taking in the scent of it once more, feeling the unwanted tears stream down my cheeks.

"Mom-" I weakly cried out, hugging the sweater as tight as I could, my eyes screaming shut as I felt the hot tears spill out of my eyes easily.

I cough, my bedroom door opening, revealing Clary, whom wasn't looking the best either.

She closed the door, walking over to me, sitting with me on the bed, wrapping her arms around me.

"I miss my mom too- a lot." Clary quietly said, sniffling, pulling me into her chest.

"I should've went to Idris with her." I sniffle, "If I would've said yes, we would've left on the spot."

"If you think this is your fault, it isn't." Clary stares at her hands, then a thought crosses her mind, "Zee- Simon was dead."

I looked at her, "Yeah? He was?"

"Simon was dead, but then he came back." Clary looked at me, "What if we could get my mom and Margaret back?"

I blink, caught off guard, "That doesn't sound like a good idea-"

"Okay, but in this insane world we suddenly live in, things that I never thought could happen do happen, so maybe there is a way." Clary reasoned, "Maybe we can get them back."

"Clary, I-" I inhale sharply, "I know how much you loved her- I loved my mom too. But- I mean, we might have to accept the fact that they're both gone."

"No." Clary shook her head, "I am not ready to accept this."

-

Magnus opened the doors, leading into his apartment, "Absolutely not."

I slowly trail behind Clary as she followed him, "Is it possible? Magnus, tell me, can it be done? Yes or no?"

Magnus sighs, "Sure, there are warlocks who've done this sort of thing. But what you're talking about is dark, dark magic. It's wildly unpredictable."

"Have you ever done it before?" Clary questioned.

"No." Magnus stopped and looked at me, "And don't encourage this."

"I'm not-" I defensively burst out, tears present in my eyes, "She dragged me with."

"Biscuit, I'm sorry." Magnus sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder in comfort, then looks between Clary and I, "I know how important they were to you."

"Magnus-" I quietly spoke up, my stare glued to the ground, "If you were in our situation, would you-"

"I wouldn't bring her back." Magnus cuts me off, shaking his head, "I wouldn't."

"I don't understand." Clary said, expecting an explanation.

"I was nine years old when my mother realized what my cat eyes meant. She couldn't live with the fact that she bore the son of a demon." Magnus sighed, "So she took her life."

Then he gestures toward something, "With this very keris."

"Magnus-" I looked up, "I'm so sorry.0

"I'm sorry-" Clary also apologized, "I didn't know."

"It was a long time ago." Magnus dismisses it, "And over time, it- it got easier. Never easy, but easier."

"Listen-" Magnus inhales sharply, "Margaret and Jocelyn were wonderful. They wanted to protect you both at all costs. So much so that they had me remove your memories. Since we can't get those back-"