33

Clary questions the minute Jace and I joined her, Isabelle and Alec in the Ops Center, "Anything new?"

I cross my arms, "We tried tracking him together, like we did with Jonathan, but for some reason it didn't work."

Jace nods after me, "Magnus's wards are up, Valentine must still be in the city."

Isabelle sighs in relief, "Thank the Angel for Magnus and the warlocks."

"They didn't raise the wards for us." Alec remarks and I could tell that something was wrong between him and Magnus.

"Teams are out doing block by block sweeps throughout the city." Isabelle nods towards us, "We'll find him."

I hadn't noticed my stare was on nothing when Jace's voice snaps me out of the trance I was in, his hand on my back, "Hey, you okay?"

I looked at him, shuffling lightly, "I thought I'd be relieved when Jonathan was finally dead- I mean, I hated him so much for everything he did but- I don't know, I feel worse."

"I get it." Jace wraps an arm around me and pulls me into his side to comfort me, "He was your brother."

I placed my hand on his that rested on the surface, squeezing it, leaning my head against his chest.

Then, the alarm starts blaring and red lights began flashing over and over, Alec looking up, "Aerial sensors."

"Is it Valentine?" Clary asked as we were now alert, surrounding the monitor.

"No." Isabelle denied as we were now all on the move, "Could be some kind of wraith demon."

-

"Where is it?" Jace calls out when we ran through the city of New York, our weapons ready.

Alec looks around, his bow and arrow aimed, "It should be right on top of us."

When I noticed the enormous demon in the air, I held my seraph blade finger, "Alec!"

Alec immediately aims his bow up, his eyes following the demon, as Isabelle exhales deeply, "I've never seen a demon like that."

Our backs were against each other as Jace shouts, "On your six!"

Alec turns towards the demon that was circling around us, roaring in the air as Alec shot at it but missed.

Clary speaks as Alec pulled out another arrow, "Can you see it?"

I looked around, "What the hell is it waiting for?"

Alec replies from next to me, "It's coming around for another pass."

Then Isabelle spots the demon coming right for us, "Alec!"

"Relax, I got this." Alec aimed his arrow right for the demon and shot at it, getting it right in the head, the demon killed into a substance that landed on the ground.

I relaxed, "Nice."

Then, smaller demons emerged from the substance and fading away from us, as we tried to shoot at them but they ran off too quickly.

-

"At least four demons are still unaccounted for." Alec walked through the roads with us following closely behind, "Notify all available personnel."

I shove my phone back into my pocket, sighing.

Jace notices the look on my face almost right away, "What's wrong?"

Clary looks at me when we all came to a stop, "Is everything okay?"

"That was Luke." I placed my hands on my hips, "Valentine's on his way to Idris."