54

"Any word on Magnus?" I quietly asked Jace as I sat in his room, on his bed in just his shirt, messing with my hand.

Jace sighs, looking at me from the piano bench he sat on, "No-"

"Alec must be devastated." I looked down at my hands, "I feel terrible-"

"Don't beat yourself up about this- none of this is your fault, okay?" Jace got up, "Alec's strong- he's determined to get him back and we will."

I look at him; hesitant, "Jace."

"I know we will." Jace walked toward me and crouched in front of me, placing his hands on my knees, "I got you back, didn't I?"

"Did you?" I stare at him, "Did you really?"

Jace put a strand of my hair behind my ear, "You're the same Zee you've always been."

"No, I'm not." My voice was quiet, "How do I come back after everything I've done? I hurt you- all- and because of me, Alicante is to ashes-"

"The same way I did." He sat next to me and pulled me into his hole, "And I'll be here to help you, no matter what."

-

"Iz, hey, are you okay?-" I hugged her when Jace and I had heard, as she stood with Alec and Simon.

"We came as soon as we heard-" Jace hugs her as well, earning a look from Simon.

"Great." Simon began, "Hugs for everybody else."

"Simon-" Isabelle sighs, looking between us all, "The heavenly fire, from when the sword exploded, until it leaves my system, I can't touch anyone with demon blood."

"For how long?" Simon stammered, "Are we talking days, weeks, months?"

"I don't know- I don't know." Isabelle replied, "But- I'm gonna be fine, okay? It's manageable."

Jace noticed the tension, gesturing between everyone, "What is going on here?"

Alec cleared up the confusion, "Isabelle and Simon were kissing when this happened."

Jace's eyes widen, "What?"

"No way-" Excitement filled my chest.

Isabelle changed the subject quickly, "Please tell me you have a lead on Jonathan."

"Yeah, we tracked down a mid-level demon known for associating with the Clave on Wall Street." Jace replied, "He didn't have any information on Jonathan."

I exhale, "But- he did have news on Lilith."

Clary questions, "What kind of news?"

"She's uhm- gathering an army to take down Magnus." I look right at Alec.

Alec sighs slowly, "She'll kill him-"

"And if she does, the rift will reopen." Jace added.

"He sacrificed everything to save us." Alec swallowed hard, "If he's going up against Lilith, I have to be there with him-"

"But, Alec, if any of us went to Edom, we'd die right away-" I mentioned, "You can't-"

"The atmosphere is demonic, but- maybe I can go." Isabelle suggests, "My heavenly fire might protect me-"

"No, no- only someone with demon blood can survive there." Alec denied, "Simon-"

Simon began, "I don't have my mark anymore, but- I'm sure if you give me enough swords, maybe I can-

"No." Alec turned toward him, "I need you to turn me into a vampire so I can go."

"What?" Jace cuts in, "Alec, are you out of your mind?"