23

"Zee, we can't panic." Jace was telling me as I paced back and forth in front of him.

"He's a lunatic- he's capable of anything." I breathe heavily. "Simon is innocent, in all of this- the only reason Valentine took him captive is because I care about him."

Luke ran over to us, "Hey, all the prisoners are either dead or gone, no sign of Cleophas."

Jace grabbed me and pulled me into his chest, my heart beat quickening at this movement, "Hey, it's gonna be okay."

I held onto him tightly, closing my eyes for a few seconds, this calming me.

I had escaped reality for just a few moments when my phone began to ring, as I pulled away from Jace, fishing my phone out of my pocket, noticing that it said Simon was trying to video chat me.

"Answer it, Zee." Luke instantly told me, as I was hesitant.

I swiped and answered, Simon coming onto screen, tied up with duck tape on his mouth, his grunts muffled as Valentine crouched in front of the screen when he came in view.

"Hello, Zee." Valentine greeted, "Wish we were chatting under more civilized circumstances, but I'm afraid I've run out of options."

I inhale sharply, "Let Simon go."

"Absolutely." Valentine said, "Just as soon as you come back to the Institute, I need you to activate the sword for me."

I shook my head instantly, "You're insane if you think I'd do that."

"Oh, but I think you will." Valentine's look was smug, "Because if you don't show up within the hour, your vampire boyfriend here is gonna die a death I wouldn't wish upon anyone."

Then, the call cuts out, my phone now a black screen.

I shove my phone in my pocket, staring at the ground for a few seconds, debating what I should do in my head.

Jace stepped back, dialing someone's number, Luke's eyes scanning my face, "Zee."

"What are we waiting for?" I finally looked up, "Let's go."

"That's what Valentine wants." Luke told me, "You know that if you touch that sword, he can destroy the entire Downworld, including Simon."

"No, Valentine needs an energy source." I shook my head, "He needs lightning."

"He's got it." Luke inhales sharply, "Every Institute is powered by an angelic power core."

Jace walks over to us, "Alec's not picking up, let's move."

"Valentine is gonna wish he never laid a hand on Simon." I began, starting to walk away, all fired up, "I'll make sure of it."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Luke stopped me, "You're not going anywhere near that Institute."

"What?" I fought in his grip, "No-"

"We're taking you to Magnus." Luke's grip was firm, "He can protect you."

"I'm not the one who needs protection!" I pulled away from him, "Look- I need to save Simon."

"The Downworld knows that you're the key to activating that sword." Luke exclaimed, "They want you dead."

Jace nods, looking at me in assurance, "I can save Simon."

"It doesn't work that way." I was quick to reply, "If I'm not the one who shows up, Valentine is gonna kill him- they're not going to let you in, and who knows how many Circle members are there, ready to kill you."

"Wait!" A faint voice sounded from the side, catching us all off guard.

I ran towards the sound, Jace and Luke following me, my eyes landed on Dot, locked in a cage, in her worst condition due to the injections, "Dot?"