35

I swayed around my room, a smile on my face with the music blasting through my headphones.

I held the a paint palette in my hand, standing in front of a canvas, the paintbrush in my hand lightly filling in the sketch I'd taken earlier.

My hair was in a loose bun, paint on my face without me even realizing, and on my arm unintentionally.

I spun to grab another color and put it on the palette when I see Jace, jumping where I stood.

I set the palette down on the table, pulling out my headphones, "How long were you standing there?"

"Long enough to see you dancing around your room." Jace's words resulted in me going red, as he walked over to me, "Don't worry, I thought it was cute."

Jace opens his mouth to speak, but I put my finger up and stop him, grabbing my palette and paint brush and rushing back over to him, dipping the brush into the red paint.

Jace steps back right away and points at me, "No."

"Please?" I gave him a kiddish smile, threaded with innocence, holding the brush in my hand, "You can take it off whenever you want."

Jace stares at me for a moment, dropping his hand hesitantly as I gave him a satisfied smile, pushing myself onto my tippy toes and drawing a small red heart on his cheekbone, filling it in.

I grab another brush and dip into the white, precisely painting only one like in the heart, then fell to my normal height, pleased, my eyes connecting with Jace's as he was watching my every move.

I set down the palette and brush, placing my hands on my hips, "What's up?"

Jace sighs, "I want to apologize."

"Apologize?" I repeat, humor threaded in my tone, "How reckless were you this time?"

Jace softly smiles, grabbing my face with one hand and using his thumb to wipe away some blue paint, "I'm sorry for never taking you anywhere that didn't involve seraph blades."

I shrug lightly, "It's the most adventure I've had in my eighteen years of life."

"Look, I know I've been preoccupied lately." Jace dropped his hand, "I'd like to make it up to you- what do you say we do something normal?"

I smiled lightly, stepping closer and placing my hands on his chest, "Jace, you don't consider a day normal unless you come home covered in ichor."

"No, I don't." Jace exhales deeply, "But- what about you?"

"You know, I could use a model." I lightly gesture toward the painted canvas, "I've run out of inspiration, so I've started painting."

"What would you say to dinner?" Jace suggests, placing his hands on my arms, "Tonight, someplace mundane- just the two of us."

I broke out into a wider smile, "Like a date?"

"Yes, Zee, yeah." Jace went with it, "If you wanna call it that, a date."

My eyes squint, "Where?"

Jace quickly blurts out, "Uh- it's a surprise."

"All right." I kiss his nose and step back, "But, don't think for a second that dinner gets you out of modeling."

Jace softly smiled at me, "Right- rain check."

-

"Hey!" I walked over to Luke when I catch him at the Institute, my heels hitting the ground as I had just gotten ready for my date with Jace, "How's Ollie?"