10

"Welcome to the Seelie Glade, Zee Young." Meliorn introduced as we walked through what looked like the woods, light everywhere, pure beauty shining throughout every corner, "The remotest edges of it."

"I'm still confused on how we got here." I admit, crossing my arms.

"There are entrances all through the mundane world." Jace told me.

Meliorn nods, "You just have to know where to look."

"Why did we have to come here to find Valentine?" I question, not wanting to dare call him my father.

"Because of the jewel you have." Meliorn spoke, "It's a Portal shard."

"Tell us something we don't know." Jace walks next to me.

Meliorn looks at me, "How does it work?"

"When I touch the crystal and I think of someone, I can see where they are." I explain, sort and simple.

"I'm curious, Shadowhunter, who knows so much about Portals," Meliorn looks at Jace, "Did you never wonder why this Portal shard doesn't behave the way normal Portals do?"

Jace exhales, "Normal Portals can only take you to places you've been. I guess I never really thought about it."

"I see Isabelle is the smart one in the family." Meliorn comments, Jace rolling his eyes, "Your Portal shard works the way it does because it's a piece of a Portal from another dimension."

I looked at him, "Did I just hear you right? Another dimension?"

"You're saying there's a Portal in some other universe that can take us to anyone if we just think of them?" Jace crosses his arms.

"If you can find the only Portal still standing in that dimension it will take you to your father." Meliorn nods towards me, "These trees are where the alternate dimensions intersect the Seelie realm."

"How is it possible that the Clave doesn't know about your dimensional doorways?" Jace questions.

"They are our most guarded secret." Meliorn came to a stop in front of two trees, their leaves tangled together, "We are their protectors. Only Seelies know of their existence."

I stop by Jace's side, "Then why are you telling us?"

"I owe you a life debt and I don't like being indebted to anyone." He told us.

"What would happen if-" I began.

Meliorn cuts me off, "If the Seelie Queen finds out I've shared this with you? I could be executed."

"Meliorn-" I inhale deeply, "That's a big risk-"

"Well, we'll be extra careful then." Jace cuts me off also.

"There is no "we" in this scenario." Meliorn looks at Jace. "Only Zee goes in to find the Portal. My debt is to her."

Jace was ready to fight back, "You've given us no reason to trust you, Seelie."

"Jace-" I looked at him, "He brought us here- that's a reason."

Meliorn uses his magic to move the branches and leaves, "This will establish a connection to the other dimension."

"What's the other dimension like?" I question, "Is it like this one?"

Meliorn continues what he was doing, "It is but it isn't."

Jace rolls his eyes, "Could you be more vague?"

"It is an alternate timeline, in a sense." Meliorn explains, "There, Shadowhunters and demons no longer exist. And Downworlders have conformed to the mundane way of life to avoid detection."