50

"Did he say anything?" Jace asked Alec when he and I joined him down by where Jonathan was locked up.

"No-" Alec had his hands behind his back and looked from Jace to me, "Underhill's been questioning him about the Morning Star sword, but he refuses to speak to anyone- except Zee."

"Then we know how to get answers, right?" I huffed lightly and ran a hand through my hair, "Alright- just- let me in."

Jace stopped me, "Zee, if you get any closer to him, you're only gonna strengthen his power over you-"

"I'll be okay." I grabbed his hand and squeezed it, "You're here- right?"

"Always." Jace squeezes my hand back, before I nodded once and backed away, heading into the cell.

My eyes were glued to Jonathan, slowly taking off my jacket and putting it onto the ground, before the guard undid the mask on his face, leaving me alone with him.

"Don't worry." Jonathan stares, "I won't bite."

I cut to the chase, "Where is the Morning Star sword?"

"I missed you too." Jonathan smugly smiles at me.

"Jonathan, where is the sword?" I repeated myself, "We know it's capable of opening a rift into Edom- is that why you want it? To release demons into this world?"

"It's a Morgenstern family heirloom." Jonathan stares, "It belongs in the hands of its rightful owners- us."

Jonathan looked past me, "Your boyfriend is keeping an awfully close eye on you, isn't he? Do you think he feels guilty about leaving you alone at the ice rink?"

"Shut up." I snipped at him, "I'm not here to chit chat- so, if you're not going to answer my questions, we're done here."

When Jonathan doesn't reply, I shake my head and began walking to the door, but his voice stops me, "Wait- I'll tell you everything you want to know, if you just stay here a little longer."

I swallow hard and face him, "So tell me-"

"I didn't even know you existed, Zee, 'til not so long ago." Jonathan had his eyes glued to me, "I'd been in Edom for what felt like an eternity."

"Lilith- spoke of- two other experiments- I thought it was only Jace and I- but, she finally told me about you and Clary." Jonathan breathed out, "That was the first time I ever heard your name- Zee Morgenstern."

"It was like music to my ears- I felt something that I had never felt before-" Jonathan's voice lowered, "Hope."

"Are you kidding me?" I cross my arms, "This has nothing to do with the sword-"

"Of course it does!" Jonathan shot back at me, "That moment changed everything for me."

"Granted, I wanted Clary at first- but you- when I met you, Zee- I realized that you were the only person that I needed- I felt it." Jonathan said, "You were the one with the good heart- the kindness- someone who could teach me how to be good-"

"Finally, I had someone to fight by my side." Jonathan continued, "Not against me- not in spite of me, but with me-"

I swallow, "Okay, that's enough-"

"Everything I do, I do for you." Jonathan's voice lowered, "I want the Morning Star sword for you- for us."

-

"What're you hiding?" I questioned, taking a few steps closer to him, "You're hiding something from me- I want to know what it is."

Jonathan denies, "I'm not."