17

I swallowed hard, standing in front of the entrance to the City of Bones.

My hand touched the rune engraved in the stone, as it lit up, the stone dragging against each other as the entrance was opened to me, a breeze whipping through my hair.

I took a deep breath, slowly entering, walking down the steps and through the tunnels, sounds of wailing in the distance, my eyes landing on the statue. The statue I had saw when I first came here with Jace.

I gasp when a Silent Brother had stepped out of the dark, "What is your business here, Shadowhunter?"

I inhale sharply, "I need to see Jace Wayland."

He simply nods, leading me through the hall where there was many cries and screams from the people imprisoned.

Suddenly, an arm reaches out through the bars, grabbing onto mine, a man desperately calling to me, "Get me out of here- please-"

I gasp, staring at him with wide eyes, "I- let go of me- please-"

The Silent Brother spoke, "Pay no heed to their desperation. They all deserve to be here. Infractions against the Clave do not go unpunished."

"Get me out!" The man desperate shouted.

I pulled my arm away, my eyes wide as ever, as I slowly followed the Silent Brother to Jace's cell.

Jace sat in the dark, the light from the flame that was lit only fanning over his face, exposing his features.

"Jace." I whisper, my eyes now glued to him, as the Silent Brother stepped back, allowing me to speak to him.

"You shouldn't have come here." Jace got up, "Take her out."

"No- no-" I shook my head, "I'm not going anywhere- I want to know you're gonna be okay."

Jace hesitantly steps closer, "Is Alec safe? Is he all right?"

"Alec's fine." I sigh, "Jace, I'm sorry- you're here because of me. If I hadn't fallen under Dot's spell- you wouldn't have gotten so-"

"You're not what put me here, Zee." Jace shook his head, "I have to pay for my actions."

"What can I do to help?" I question, "I will do anything- putting you in here was wrong- and I'll do anything to get you out."

Jace swallowed hard, grabbing the bars and looks at me, "You can stay away from me."

My heart dropped, "What?"

"No matter what happens, never come near me again." Jace shook his head, staring right into my eyes.

"Jace, what are you talking about?" I fought, "You're my family."

"I am Valentine's weapon." Jace corrected me, "You think he's just gonna let me go?"

I sigh, "Jace-"

"He knows that you-" Jace blurted out, sighing deeply, his voice falling low, "You're my weakness."

My voice fell into a whisper, repeating what he just said, "Your weakness."

"If I ever get out of here, he'll come after you again." Jace exclaimed.

"Let him." I stare at him, "I'm not afraid. We have Alec- Izzy- Clary- Simon- Magnus- we'll fight him off- together."

Jace stepped away, "There is no together for you and me, Zee. There never can be."

And that was when my heart broke.

"Jace." Tears flooded my eyes, as I stepped back, "No-"

"We're done here." Jace backs away into the dark.