3

"I still don't understand." Clary sighs, "How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?"

"Because we protect humans." Isabelle told her, as we stood in the hall after entering the Institute.

I stay silent, not having said a word since the incident, Clary running a hand through her head hair, "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. We left Simon all alone in the van."

Alec looks between Clary and I, "There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense."

"Alec, not now." Isabelle stops him.

Jace looks at me, "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"Why does anyone think that?" Clary spoke up due to my silence, "What, my mom lies to us our entire life except, oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone. What are we supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec starts to walk, "They have to know we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's my father?" Clary spoke up once more, Alec stopping, "Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected." Jace crosses his arms, "The vamps want the Cup."

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters." She questions.

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec made it clear.

"Plus, it controls demons." Isabelle adds.

"They'll propose a trade." Jace exclaims, "Simon for the Cup."

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup." Clary puts it all together, "Either way, we lose someone."

Silence falls upon us, my stare fixed on the ground, completely zoned out after that, my arms crossed, stood across from Alec.

"What about you?" Alec called me out, "Do you have any bright ideas you'd like to contribute?"

My jaw clenched lightly, not being in the mood for him to pick on me, blinking long and hard, looking up at him.

His stare stays connected with mine, as I deeply exhale through my nose, my voice low, "We need a plan, every minute we stand here and discuss the matter that's already been overly expressed, Simon suffers."

"Then, what's your plan?" Alec kept me in the center, his questions prying into me.

"I don't know, you tell me." I shot right back, "I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true." Isabelle sides with me, "She was raised as a mundane."

"What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec questions, starting to get irritated that she kept aiding me.

I huff, walking away and through the Institute, in the center where there was a table and many monitors, the rest following me, "Are you going to tell me not one of these screens can help us find Simon?"

"Where is he, anyway?" Clary questions, standing next to me, as we all surrounded the table, "Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

"Actually, no." Jace spoke up in confirmation, "That was Camille's outfit, right? They're locals."

"They're at the Hotel DuMort, down in Gansevoort Street." Isabelle sat on the table.

"And we came back here? Why?" Clary questioned instantly, "We have to go there. Let's go, now- come on-"