4

I pace back and forth in the middle of what was now my room in the Institute, running a hand through my hair.

I breath heavy, sobs leaving my lips, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I hadn't been able to sleep that much, and it was still dark out, showing me that sunrise wasn't til a few hours.

I try to calm down, but was only able to think about the memory the Silent Brother's had given me access to.

I was now dressed in a pair of joggers, the tank top Isabelle had given me still on my body.

I pinch my nose, fresh tears falling no matter how hard I tried to keep them held back and calm myself down.

Suddenly, there was a light knock on my door, catching me completely off guard.

I grabbed my phone, looking at the time. 2:37 am.

I walk over to the door, swinging it open, only to reveal Jace Wayland, dressed in sweats and a t shirt.

I swing back around, walking right back into my room, trying to hide my face away from him, wiping away my tears quickly.

Jace slowly walks in, closing the door, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah-" I clear my throat, my voice raspy and at the verge of cracking, "I'm fine- why- why did you knock on my door at almost 3 in the morning?"

"Zee-" Jace came behind me, his hand touching my shoulder from behind.

I go silent, staring at the ground, letting Jace's warm hand resting on my arm.

"Was I that loud?" I whisper, sniffling quietly.

"I couldn't sleep- and I felt like I should check up on you." Jace told me honestly, using his hand to turn me around to face him, "It looks like I did good coming down the hall and here- what's wrong, why are you upset?"

Our eyes were locked like magnets, as I wished they would calm me, but this time they didn't.

I sniffle, "I was thinking about my memory- the one the Silent Brothers got in access to."

"What about it?" Jace questions, "I know Valentine is your father but-"

"You were right-" I fiddle with my necklace, "There was more to it."

Jace nods for me to go on, as I did, "In the memory- I listened to Jocelyn and Luke- two people I'd consider my parents any day. They were talking in the hall outside my bedroom, Luke was going to tell me that Clary and I were Shadowhunters, and Jocelyn was practically begging him not to, and assuring him that we wouldn't find out."

"But then- she mentioned my mother." I teared up at the thought, "She said she didn't think she could handle how hurt I would be if I found out that Valentine- my father, killed my mother right in front of me."

Jace stared at me, his eyes slightly widening at the information.

"She stripped me of all my memories, of my mother- of my family. She made me believe for the past two years that I never knew my parents. She had me convinced that my parents died before I was even born- but turns out, my father killed my mother right in front of me." Tears slipped my eyes, my voice growing weak and cracking with every other word, "I have no memory of her. I don't even remember her being killed- I don't know any of it."