20

I slipped on my navy blue leather jacket, walking down the hall at the Institute, pulling my medium length wavy hair out from between my shirt and jacket.

I halt, blinking a few times when I heard some sort of thunder rumbling.

A piercing, distorted screaming filled my ears, as one of my hands flew to my ear, letting out a small whimper of pain from this.

Suddenly, the screaming disappears and I noticed how no one reacted to it.

I stop Lindsay in the hallway, "Hey, did you hear that?"

Her eyebrows furrow under her bangs, "Hear what?"

"That sound just now." I blink, confusion falling over me.

"What sound?" She questions, "I didn't hear anything."

"Never mind." I shake my head, walking away from her, confusion still present in my mind.

-

"Simon!" I call out, making my way through where he stayed, my eyes falling onto him, noticing him buttoning up his shirt after I caught a glimpse of his shirtless body, "Wow-"

Simon looked away from the mirror and looked at me, exhaling, "Hey-"

"Hey-" I blink, "You look-"

He finishes my sentence, "Overdressed."

"No-" I shook my head, "Not at all- you look great, Simon."

"Really- it's not too wrinkled?" Simon walks over to me, "I mean I don't really own an iron, so-"

"What's with the shirt?" I cut him off, "You have plans?"

"Yeah." Simon conformed, "I'm hanging out with, uh- with Maia."

I softly smile, "Luke's Maia?"

"Well, she's not technically Luke's." Simon stammered, "I mean, they're part of the same pack, but that's-"

I put his stammering to a stop, "You guys are hanging out?"

"Yeah, I mean-" Something flashes in Simon's eyes as he looked at me, "That's okay, right?"

"No, that's unacceptable." I began to joke, keeping a straight face, "I am your only friend- It's in the bylaws."

Simon scans my face, "What's wrong?"

"What?" I stop, "Nothing, I'm fine."

"Look who you're talking to, Young." Simon took a step closer, "Come on, something's up. I can tell."

"It's nothing serious-" I stutter, then sigh, "Something really strange happened to me at the Institute, and I can't explain it-"

"What strange thing happened?" Simon questioned, then grabs onto my arms, "Look, I can I can totally reschedule. If you need me, I'm here."

"No!" I blurt out, "No, I'm- I'm fine. Go- and have a good time with Maia."

"You sure?" Simon asked, my phone chiming in my pocket, as I fished it out, noticing the angelic rune on my screen.

I stepped away from his touch, "I gotta go- actually."

Simon watched me as I backed away and towards the exit, "Don't worry about the wrinkles- she won't notice!"

-

"Any idea what this is about?" I sigh, meeting up with Alec in the hallway.

"Heard a big storm's moving in." Alec told me, walking by my side as we looked for Isabelle and Clary, "Always increases demon activity."