53

"A mistake I can't possibly make again." I heard the Seelie Queen say as I walked toward the room Jonathan had her in, "Never in the history of the Seelie Court has someone managed to do what you have."

"Well- I can't take all the credit, your Highness." I heard Jonathan reply in a low tone.

I walked into the room, "If you two are done flirting-"

He looked at me, "I wasn't flirting."

"I was." She smirked.

"We have more important things to worry about?" I fixed my sleeve, then looked at the Seelie Queen, "I know you know why we've brought you here, so why don't we just cut to the chase, hm?"

I walked closer to her, "Why don't you use your birds and your bees to tell the Seelie Court to hand over the Morning Star sword?"

She looked at me, "And if I don't comply?"

My jaw clenched, my fist coming in contact with her face, "How 'bout now?"

"I'd expect this behaviour from a proper Morgenstern-" She grunted, "-not from you."

"Oh shut up-" I scoffed, taking a few steps back, "I am a proper Morgenstern- it's in my blood-"

"And this rune? It's brought me even closer to the Morgenstern name that I've ever been- I'm just like my brother." I stood next to Jonathan, a small smirk forming on my lips, "After all- we are one."   

-

"Hey- the Queen is secure." I walked into the living room where Jonathan stood, "Why haven't we left?"

"I guess I got distracted." Jonathan slowly turned and looked at me, "It's difficult for me to believe that this is actually happening."

"What?-" I stood straight, crossing my arms, "Us on the verge of reclaiming our birthright?"

"Yeah- precisely that." Jonathan was honest with me, "You and me- us."

"The look you had in your eyes the first time you saw my true face, the hatred, the disgust-" Jonathan trailed off, "I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop."

"I was naive- in the moment, I forgot what it could be like if I just- saw you for who you really were- not Valentine's experiment." I slowly walked towards him, "But, answer me this- why me? Why not, Clary- I'm not even your full sister-"

"Because you saw good in me when no one else would." Jonathan stares at me, his voice lowering, "And the warmth I felt knowing that- it's a feeling I never wanted to let go of. I never wanted to let go of you-"

"Jonathan, what Lilith did to me forcing us to be attached to each other, not being able to fight you without hurting myself-" I stopped in front of him and placed a hand over his rune, "At first, I thought it was the worst thing that could have ever happened to me-"

Jonathan breathes out, "And now?"

"Without this rune, I would never have been forced to see you for who you really are." My voice lowered, "And who Jace really is."

This made Jonathan's eyes light up, "What about him?"

"He doesn't care about my happiness- he doesn't care about the fact that I love you and I want to be by your side, Jonathan." I swallow, "I don't want to love someone like him if he doesn't accept my wishes."

When Jonathan leaned into kiss me, I quickly stopped him, my hands on his chest, clearing my throat and changing the subject, "And, as my older brother- don't you think it's about time to teach me how to drive this place? It's- my home too, isn't it?"