41

"Bring in the accused." I was brought into the hall, cuffs on my wrists, as I was escorted to the higher platform.

I stood in front of everyone, the cuffs on my wrists being unlocked, as the Brother placed the Soul Sword in front of me on the stand, "Place your hands on the Sword."

I looked at Consul Penhallow, "The last time I touched this sword, I destroyed some of its powers."

"To kill Downworlders." Consul Penhallow recalled, "It can still draw the truth."

"Hands." said the Brother, forcing my hands onto the Soul Sword.

My palms laid flat on them, the sword beginning to glow at my touch.

Consul Penhallow looked at me, beginning to interrogate me, "Why did you come to Alicante?"

I bit my tongue.

I didn't want to say it.

But, it was forced out, even despite my attempts to stop it, "To steal the Malachi Configuration."

Shock crosses my expression, inhaling shakily.

Consul Penhallow stares at me, "Seems the sword's working just fine."

-

"Why were you digging up your father's body?" asked Consul Penhallow as she paced in front of me.

I told the truth, "I wasn't."

Consul Penhallow stopped, "Then who was?"

I clenched my jaw, squeezing my eyes shut.

The harder I tried, the harder it got to keep in.

I blurted out, "It was Jace."

"Jace Herondale?" Consul Penhallow confirmed, "Then why did we find you in the cemetery?"

I grunted, "Because I helped him escape."

Consul Penhallow stared at me, "Why was Jace digging up Valentine?"

I was honest, "I don't know."

"Did Jace kill Imogen?" asked Consul Penhallow.

I squeezed my eyes shut, "I think so."

Consul Penhallow questioned, "Why would Jace kill the only true family he has?"

"He's not in control of what he's doing." I stuttered, trying not to continue.

"Why?" She questioned, but, I forced myself to not reply.

Consul Penhallow repeated herself, "Why?"

My voice was raised when I blurted out forcefully, "Because he's been possessed by the Queen of Edom."

I dreaded her next question, "How did that happen?"

"How did Jace become possessed by Lilith?" Consul Penhallow reworded her question when I was silent.

I fought the powers of the Soul Sword.

I couldn't tell them about my wish.

I couldn't.

Consul Penhallow repeats herself, "How did Jace become possessed by Lilith?"

"He was vulnerable." Tears burned in my eyes.

Consul Penhallow stood still, "Why?"

The clenched my jaw to try and hold back, the Soul Sword glowing wildly under my palms.

I almost cried out, "Valentine killed him at Lake Lyn."

Consul Penhallow tried to correct me, "You mean tried to kill him?"

I shook my head, beginning to breathe heavily, "No- he was dead."

"If Jace was dead- how is he alive now?" Consul Penhallow questioned, as I held back with all my might.

The sword began to glow so blindly that I pulled my hands away and stepped back, the sword falling to the ground, "I don't need your Sword to tell the truth."

"No-" Consul Penhallow immediately said when the guards grabbed me, "Let her speak."

"After my father killed Jace, he summoned Raziel to compel a wish." I came clean about what had happened at Lake Lyn, "Except- I killed Valentine before he could use the wish and used it to bring Jace back."

Consul Penhallow stared at me in horror, "Do you have any idea what you've done?"

"Since the time of Jonathan Shadowhunter, we have battled demons with the reassurance that if an insurmountable evil were to take over the world, the Angel's wish could save us." Consul Penhallow stood on the higher platform, directly in front of me, "You've taken that away."

"To you, an insurmountable evil is a world overrun by demons." I stepped closer to her, "To me, it's the mass murder of all creatures with demon blood."

"Any wish that has the power to cause that kind of destruction is not a gift." I snipped at her, exposing my truth, "It's a curse, and I'm glad it's gone."

-

"Do you have anything you'd like to say before receiving your sentence?" Consul Penhallow questioned when they brought me back to my cell, unlocking the cuffs on my wrists.

"If you were at Lake Lyn and it was Aline instead of Jace-" I began trailing off, "What would you have done?"

"I know you were raised as a mundane with the idealistic belief that love comes above all." Consul Penhallow stared at me, "If I'd been at Lake Lyn, we'd still have Raziel's wish."

My heart dropped, "You would've just left her to die-"

"Yes." Consul Penhallow snapped at me, "Because being a Shadowhunter is about sacrifice."

"That's the one thing you've never understood." Consul Penhallow exhales deeply, "But- maybe now you will."

"Zee Young." Consul Penhallow stepped back and stood tall, "You are hereby sentenced to death."

authors note:

merry christmas !

THIS CHAPTER IS SO SHORT DUDE

LIKE IM ACTUALLY SORRY

BUT IT'S NOT MY FAULT, THERE WASN'T MUCH TO WRITE SKSKSKSK

but, thank you for 15k !

go ready redamancy, i bet there's more to read there

vote and comment loadsss