21

Luke shouts as he pushed through the doors of the kitchen, leading into the empty restaurant of the Jade Wolf, right after we had just gotten back, "How could you not tell me that?"

"Luke-" I huff deeply, rushing after him, Jace right by my side, "The Downworld would be in complete chaos if they had any idea of what the Sword could really do."

Jace was backing me up, trying to explain also, "There would be uprisings everywhere."

"So, you're saving the Downworlders from themselves?" Luke spun around, accusingly, "We never asked."

"We didn't even know that Valentine could activate the Sword until Cleophas realized he had an angel." I inhale sharply, "I'm sorry- okay? I didn't want you to worry."

Luke turned his back towards me, his tone still harsh, "Well, it's too late for that."

Hurt and regret crosses over my features, Jace noticing this, "Look, you don't understand, all right-"

"No." Luke faced us again, ready to continue the argument, "I do understand- he has my sister."

I inhale a shaky breath, trading looks with Jace.

Luke between us, suspicion present in his expression, "What else aren't you two telling me?"

"The angel," I confessed, "He showed us something- it was a vision."

Jace nodded, "Just now, on the rooftop, he showed us both a vision of a demon that can destroy the Sword."

Luke's eyebrows furrow, "How do you know that's what he was telling you?"

"There isn't any other explanation." I spoke, fiddling with my thumbs, "When the demon touched the Sword, he and the Sword both disintegrated."

Jace took a step closer to him and sighed, "Luke, it was a demon I'd never seen before."

"Then go find it." Luke said, turning and heading towards the door, "I'll head out and see if that bastard left any clues for us to track him down."

-

"It's gonna be fine." Simon rambles on to himself, pacing, his eyes shifting from the water to the ground over and over, as I slowly walked closer to him, "You fought a cobra- you went to India. You can- totally tell her. It's Zee. It's not like it's- another cobra- that would be something."

"Simon." I called out, blinking a few times, "Sorry- if you had to wait long- I was- handling something with Jace."

Simon spun around, "It's okay- yup- yeah-"

"Simon?" I took a step closer, now a few feet away from him but directly in front of him, "Are you okay?"

"I'm very okay- hopefully." Simon then gestures toward the bench, "Do you wanna sit? I mean, standing works, too-"

"Simon." I said his name for the third time, "What's going on?"

Simon went silent, as if he was thinking about backing out of something.

I ran a hand through my hair as the breeze gently blew, "You- just- randomly text to meet you here at, like, 11:00 at night?"

Simon nods, clearing his throat, "I did that- yes, I did."

"Hey-" I trail off, my tone gentle, taking a step closer and placing my hand on the railing I stood by, "Did something happen with you and Maia?"

"Yes, something did happen." Simon confessed, walking over to me so I was only a foot or two away, "Um- look, Zee. The thing is, um-"