43

"Three second head start and you didn't try to run?" Jace remarked when he came out the portal after me, as we were in New York now, "I'm disappointed."

I scoff, inching closer to him, "What, so I could- humor you by letting you catch me again?"

Jace grabbed my arm and shoved me forward, ignoring me, "Let's go."

"Did you kill Clary, Alec and Izzy?" I stopped and faced him again, "Did you hurt them?"

When he just stares, I press, "Answer me!"

Jace held ground, "I don't take orders from you."

I roll my eyes, "But- you do from Lilith?"

"She is my Queen." Jace grabs my arm again and forces me to walk, "Keep moving."

"We can run all you want." I reminded him, "It's only a matter of time before the guards from the Clave get to us."

Jace held a tighter grip on my arm, "That's why I activated your Anti-Tracking rune."

I stopped again and faced him, "Let me talk to him."

"Give him back to me." I demanded, not budging, my voice going slightly quiet, "I can't lose him again."

Jace said nothing, not moving an inch.

He just stared at me.

I pushed myself onto my tippy toes and pressed my lips against his, feeling him kiss back for a few moments.

I pulled away, looking between his eyes, waiting for some sort of reaction that it had gotten through to him.

"As hot as that kiss was-" Jace's words made my blood boil, "Still me."

I clench my jaw, "Son of a bitch-"

"There is no version of this where your Jace wakes up and comes home." Jace's words hurt, "The life you knew is gone, you belong to Lilith now."

-

"Come on." Jace pulled me along forcefully as we entered the alley, "It's not much farther now."

I breathed heavily, my legs exhausted and striking with pain, along with soreness, "That's what you said 10 blocks ago."

I needed a way to let everyone know I'm here.

That I'm back in New York.

That's when I noticed the broken beer bottle on the ground next to the trash cans.

I purposely trip over a few boxes and fell out of his grasp, my body hitting the ground, secretly grabbing a shard of the glass.

"Get up." Jace instructed.

"Just give me a minute." I breathed heavily and sat up, squeezing the glass in my palm, feeling it cut into my flesh with every time I squeezed harder, "I haven't stopped moving since Valentine's interrogation."

"Stop moving." Jace grabbed me and forced me up, running his stele over my stamina rune, "You're gonna need your stamina."

I felt the quick adrenaline rush running through my body, a gasp leaving my lips at it.

"Let's go." Jace pulled me along, drops of my blood trailing on the ground as I cut deeper into my flesh with the shard of glass.

-

"The prodigal sister has arrived." Lilith said when I was brought into the apartment, my eyes scanning the room to see all the people that had been possessed.