25

"I can't believe you went to fell asleep during the movie." I pointed at Simon, seated in a chair by his bed, dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie, eating ice cream out of the quart, "It was so good."

"It was boring!" Simon sat up in his bed, "I was yawning the first two minutes."

"The beginning's are always boring- that's when you're getting introduced to all the characters." I point at him with my plastic spoon, "When you get more into the movie, that's when it gets more interesting."

"Alright, to bring this conversation to more serious matters," Simon began, "Do you really like the bed better than the canoe?"

I stare at him for a moment, sarcasm dripping from my tone, "No- I much prefer waking up with my hair smelling like algae."

"See? I knew that." Simon smiles at me, making me laugh, "I love that smell."

"Oh yeah?" I laughed, shaking my head at him.

"Yeah." Simon nodded, picking me up and setting me onto the bed, "It reminds me of the time that Luke took us out on the lake and you fell in."

I looked at him disbelief, "Fell in?"

"You were so mad!" Simon bursted out laughing, making me hit his arm lightly.

I set my ice cream down, "I was mad because you stood up and tipped us over!"

"Nah, that doesn't sound like me." Simon pretended to be clueless, "I don't remember that."

"Sure-" I playfully roll my eyes, my phone buzzing on the side as I grabbed it, noticing the text message on my screen, my heart jumping when I read the name, "It's an update on Azazel from Jace."

My heart jumping at the sight of his name made me feel guilty again.

With Simon, it felt like we never moved on from being best friends.

We were still best friends, that occasionally kissed sometimes and had the title of boyfriend and girlfriend.

With Jace, it was different.

I couldn't feel anything for anyone but Jace.

That made me upset, but enough that I could shove it deep down and ignore it.

"Tell your brother you're busy!" Simon broke me away from my thoughts, wrapping his arm around me.

"Uh-" I swallow, inhaling sharply due to not telling him yet, "Yeah- I'll say that."

There was a knocking, making Simon jump instantly, looking around.

"Wow- calm down." I looked at him with wide eyes, "It's just the kayaks."

"Yeah, I know, I just-" Stammered Simon, looking away, chuckling nervously, "I always forget."

-

"Azazel's attacks go as far south as the meat-packing district." Alec told Jace, Clary and I as we stood around the monitor, "And then the trail goes cold."

"It's no use just tracking the dead bodies." Jace inhales sharply, "With his ability to dematerialize, he could be anywhere."

"Maybe we can help." Isabelle walked over with a fairly handsome man, coming to my side.

"Izzy!" I hugged her, "We've been so worried about you."

Clary was next to hug her, "Where have you been?"