14

I walked into the Greenhouse with Clary, dressed in black ripped jeans, a black t shirt tucked in, black heeled ankle boots on my feet, a navy blue leather jacket covering my bare arms, my hair loosely curled, ending right where my shoulders ended.

"My sweet girl!" Jocelyn exhales, hugging Clary.

"I never thought I'd see you again." Clary held her, then lets go, looking at me.

I stood there, my arms crossed as I stared at the ground, wanting them to have small talk before I cut it short.

And they did, they spoke about a few things.

Until I cleared my throat, "Clary- could I have a moment alone with Jocelyn?"

"Yeah-" Clary nods, walking over to me, giving me a short hug, "Yeah- of course."

Clary leaves the room, my eyes falling onto Jocelyn.

"You're upset with me." Jocelyn already knew, as she walked over, grabbing my hands, "I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen. All I ever wanted to do was to protect you."

"By- taking my memories?" I question, "Lying to me about my past- lying to me about my parents? Is that what you call protection?"

"Zee." She squeezed my hands lightly in comfort, "You wouldn't understand. The look on your face when- what I thought- what we all thought- was Valentine killing your mother- it broke you."

I roll my eyes, looking away.

She grabs my face, making me look at her, "Honey- I tried to give you time. I tried. But- I couldn't. I couldn't watch you like that anymore-"

"What, so you did it for yourself?" I scoff lightly, "Because you couldn't watch me mourn over my supposedly dead mother?"

"Zee- I swear, I had no intention of hurting you." Jocelyn honestly told me, "I wanted you to be happy- I didn't want you to know about the Shadow World or anything."

"And that included my mother." I swallow, "This is my life, Jocelyn. I had every right to know- about my mother- and the Shadow World. I deserved to know who I really am."

"I know- and I'm so sorry." She apologized again, breathing out.

"Now, that I think about it-" I trail off, "You screwed me over the most. For Clary- yes, you took away her memories about the Shadow World. But- alongside that, for me, you took away my mother."

"I couldn't just stand by and continue watching you break apart, Zee." Jocelyn spoke, "I- was terrified-"

"That's what we all call grief. You lied- about everything, Jocelyn." I stare at her, "I've found out so much since you've been gone- and half of the time- I was risking my life."

"I promise from now on- no more lies." She swore, "I have a feeling you've been through so much to find out about your past- to find out what I haven't told you- but I was scared-"

"Because you married a psychopath-" I confront her, crossing my arms, "Valentine Morgenstern. My father. Clary's father. Jonathan's father."

Jocelyn stops, stepping back, her hands at her sides, "So, you know."

"I want to ask how could you do such a thing-" I sigh, "But- I haven't even asked my own mother."

"Your father, he wasn't always like this." Jocelyn stares at me.

"I have something for you." I clear my throat, grabbing my bag, pulling out the box.

Jocelyn sat down with me, staring at it as I handed it to her, "Where did you get this?"