32

Isabelle sighs as her, Jace and I walked through the streets and right for Sebastian's apartment, "Zee, don't."

"No, Iz- I knew there was something off about Sebastian or- Jonathan, damn it." I inhale sharply, walking faster, "I should've never second-guessed myself. I should've trusted my gut like I always do."

"Hey, don't blame yourself." Jace said from behind me, "He would've found his way into our lives, one way or another, the only thing that matters now is taking Jonathan and Valentine out."

We burst into Sebastian's apartment the minute we enter the building, holding our weapons tightly.

There he was, his back turned towards us, seated in the chair, not moving.

"Jonathan!" Isabelle calls out, holding her staff.

Jace took a step closer, "Turn around and face us."

I followed Jace's actions, "Where is Valentine?"

When Sebastian doesn't reply, Isabelle reaches over with her staff and turns him in his chair, revealing a beaten and bruised Sebastian Verlac.

"Oh my God." I almost gasp, "Did Valentine kill him?"

Isabelle lets down her guard, "He's been dead for days."

"Tortured first." Jace's eyes scan the dead body, "This was the real Sebastian Verlac."

This made me angry.

Jace closed Sebastian's eyes, stepping back, "Ave atque vale."

Isabelle, Jace and I recite together, "Hail and farewell."

When Sebastian's body starts moving, my eyes widen, "Jace-"

Sebastian's eyes snap open, as he snarls, launching up in the air, attaching himself to the wall and growling down at us all.

"It's a possessing demon." Jace held ground, holding his blade ready, as we all stood straight.

"The same kind that murdered my mom." I stared at Sebastian, who snarled at us.

"Then we know how to kill it." Isabelle exhales deeply when Sebastian launches himself at me, her grabbing him by her whip and Jace killing the demon, leaving Sebastian's dead body on the ground.

Isabelle stares down at him, "We'll make 'em pay for what they did to you."

I believed in Jonathan. But, now I've realized what he's done, I couldn't any longer.

I crouched, my eyes raking down the dead body, pure hatred in my tone, "We're going to make them pay for everything."

-

"Have you notified the Verlac family yet?" Inquisitor Herondale asked us, as Jace and I stood behind Alec in his office, the video chat going.

Alec replies to this, "The Penhallow daughter, Aline, will deliver the message in person, Madame Inquisitor."

"Defiling the body of a fallen soldier and turning it into a booby trap is sadly par for the course for Valentine, isn't it?" Inquisitor Herondale said.

"The possessing demon wouldn't have done this its own." Alec explained, "The trap could only have been set using the Mortal Cup to command it."

Inquisitor Herondale scoffs, "So- he had it all along."

"And our intel shows he's also in possession of the Mortal Sword." Alec adds in.

Inquisitor Herondale sighs, "Do you have any good news for me today, Mr. Lightwood?"