forty-six

Drew and Brendon quickly ran into the hospital. They looked around the waiting room and they spotted Liam, who was waiting for the boys to show up.

" Papa!" They both yell. They run up to him. Liam smiles softly at the boys.

" Hi boys." Liam greets.

" Is dad okay?" Drew asks.

" Is Melody okay?" Brendon asks.

" Dad and Melody are fine. Lets go see dad." Liam says. The brothers nod their heads. Liam guides the brothers to Niall's room. Once inside the room, the brothers ran up to their other father and threw their arms around him.

" I'm so glad you're okay." Drew says.

" You're okay dad." Brendon says. Niall smiles and wraps his arms around both of his boys. He missed having hugs from them.

" I am okay. And I'm glad you boys are finally here." Niall says. They release from the hug.

" Do we know if Melody is okay?" Drew asks. Liam walks up to the three.

" The nurses have told us that she's doing good." Liam says.

" Are we allowed to see her?" Brendon asks.

" Actually, I've been waiting for you boys to go see her. I want us to see her at the same time." Liam says.

" Except for me because I'm stuck here." Niall mumbles. Liam kisses the top of his head.

" You'll see her as soon as you're released." Liam says. He looks at his boys," Lets go see her."

Liam looks at Niall," I might be able to take some pictures. But I'll tell you how she's doing until you can see her."

The three boys walked out of the room, leaving Niall alone. Liam, Drew, and Brendon walk to the NICU. Drew looks at his dad.

" So, what made dad go into labour?" Drew asks.

" He didn't go into labour. His body rejected Melody and they had to take her out to save her." Liam explains.

" But I thought his body wasn't rejecting the pregnancy this time?" Brendon asks.

" Doctor Long told us he wasn't rejecting her in the beginning. But as soon as she started getting bigger that's when dad's body rejected her. It's like his body was trying to free space up." Liam says. Both brothers had to take in the information in. They were surprised this happened, but glad Melody is okay.

The boys make it to the NICU. They tell them why they're there and nurse directs them to Melody's room. Before they go in, they wash their hands to keep Melody safe. They enter the room and they all gasp at how small and innocent she looks. And because of all the tubes connecting to her.

" Hi boys. Are you family to Melody?" One of the nurses asks the boys.

" Yes. I'm the father and these are her brothers. This is our first time seeing her." Liam says.

" Then I'll be glad to show you her. I'm the main nurse taking care of her. I'm Charlotte." The nurse introduces.

" Nice to meet you." Liam says. Charlotte leads the family to Melody's little bed. She had a bed with a heating lamp over it. She looked so small compared to the bed. The three boys got tears in their eyes.

" She's so small." Drew quietly says. The other two nod their heads in agreement.

" Can I ask what's wrong with her?" Liam asks.

" Of course. For being a premature baby, she's pretty mature, but still has some problems. Her temperature is pretty normal, but we still want to regulate that. She's having trouble with feeding and breathing but we have the special tubes to help her out with that. But her heart is doing okay." Charlotte explains.

" Do you know how long she'll be here?" Brendon asks.

" It depends on how she's doing with all the treatments. It could be a good couple months." Charlotte says.

" Can we touch her?" Liam asks.

" That's not a good idea for now. Let her get a little stronger before we can let you touch or even hold her. But you're allowed to talk to her. How about you guys introduce yourselves? I can leave and give you guys a couple minutes." Charlotte says.

" Thank you." Liam says. Charlotte nods her head and walks away. The boys look at the small bed made for Melody. Liam smiles at her and got tears in his eyes.

" Hi Melody. This is papa and I'm so glad you're doing okay. Daddy isn't here, but you get to meet him soon. He's very sorry for what he put you through, but I know you're a strong girl and will get through this. I love you so much princess." Liam says. He looks at the boys," Introduce yourself to her."

The brothers look at their new sister. They both fell in love with her and they both would do anything to protect her.

" Hi Melody. I'm DJ, your big brother. I'll do anything to make sure you're okay." Drew says.

" Hello Melody. I'm Brendon, your other big brother. And I can tell we're gonna get along real well." Brendon says. The three boys sat in admiration while looking at her. They never wanted to take their eyes off of her.

All of a sudden, she let out a whimper and then loud cries. The family members immediately went to her aid.

" It's okay Melody. There's no need to cry." Liam says.

" Please stop crying Melody." Drew says.

" Everything will be okay." Brendon says. Charlotte comes back and figured out what's wrong with Melody. She takes the feeding tube and places it in Melody's mouth and throat. Food for Melody started to go through the tube. Drew and Brendon looked at the tube in horror.

" Is that hurting her?" Drew asks.

Charlotte shakes her head," No. I promise none of the tubes or wires connected to her are hurting her. They're here to make sure she's staying alive."

The brothers nod their head, but still look at the tube in horror. They continue to watch her being fed. Then when the time came, Charlotte took the feeding tube out and had Melody continuing breathing. She looks at the family.

" I hate to do this, but I need you boys out of the room. I have to do some tests on her." Charlotte says.

" It's alright. Thank you for showing us around and letting us see her." Liam says.

" You're welcome. Just come back another time whenever you're ready to see her again." Charlotte says. Liam nods his head and the three boys walk back to Niall's room. They walk in and Niall perks up.

" How is she?" Niall asks. They walk to Niall's bed. The brothers sit on Niall's bed where Liam sits on the chair next to Niall's bed.

" She's doing good Ni. The nurse told us that she may be there for a couple months, but she's doing really good." Liam says. Niall relaxes. He's glad that she's okay.

" Dad, she's so tiny. Like, I could fit her in my hand." Drew says.

" But she was nice. I'm so glad I got to meet her." Brendon says.

" And she's beautiful Ni. She may have had a bunch tubes and wires connected to her, but past all that, she was just amazing. I could've stared at her all day." Liam says.

" Did you get to hold her?" Niall asks.

Liam shakes his head," No. The nurse didn't think she was strong enough."

Niall sat on his bed with a smile. He was so glad he got to hear about Melody. But he couldn't wait to meet her himself.

***

Hello !!!! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a couple days!! I've been busy!

Honestly I hate saying apologizing for not updating quick enough, but things happen. I truly am trying my best.

I don't know what else to say... so if you have anything you would like to say, feel free to comment.

Thank you guys so much for reading. I love you all.

***