Chapter 38: Before the Storm

Pandora went in the barracks to check on Eren, who was still asleep after yesterday's experiment. When she got there, she saw Mikasa siting down on a chair besides the bedside where Eren slept, holding his hand.

"Good morning, Mikasa," Pandora smiled as she walked towards him. "How is he doing?"

"Fine," Mikasa responded, but it was a bit rude. She didn't even look at Pandora's direction.

Pandora sighed and took a seat on the bed, facing Mikasa. "Listen, if you're still mad about yesterday, I'm sorry. Hanji also said she was sorry about how she acted yesterday," Pandora said.

Mikasa was now looking at her, paying attention. She showed no expression at all, reminding Pandora of Levi. "You don't mind me checking up on Eren, right?" Pandora asked. Mikasa shook her head in response.

Pandora went immediately to work. She put her hand on top of his forehead, only to find out it has gone down. She then check his pulse, making sure his heart was beating at a normal pace. Pandora grabbed Eren's hand and put two of her fingers on his wrist until she felt the first pulse. Then she started to count in her head the number of pulses she felt in fifteen seconds. After she found out how much his heart pulse, she multiplied that number by four. "He's fine," Pandora said as she set his hand down. "His fever went down and his heart is beating correctly," she told Mikasa.

Mikasa nodded her head and held Eren's hand a little bit tighter. "Captain," Mikasa began to say, "are you getting married?" She asked, pointing to the ring on her hand.

"Uh... oh yeah. I guess Valentino was right when he said people will notice right away," Pandora said, giving a small laugh. "Anyway, when did you guys meet? I don't remember meeting you when I visited Grisha for the herbs," Pandora asked.

"A year before... the fall," Mikasa answered. "Eren used to talk about you. I always assumed you were a distant aunt of his."

"Ha, that's nice," Pandora laughed. "Nah, we're not related. I mean, I don't think so, because I seem to find out I have more relatives that I already met," she said.

"Why did you get herbs from Grisha? You lived pretty far from us," Mikasa asked.

"Ah, it was because his herbs were the best for the price he gave," Pandora answered. "You see, I used to live in the Underground with Levi and two other friends of ours. We did some missions together, but then I found out I liked helping people out medically. Plus, I did a better job at stealing meds and helping the ill than stealing other things," Pandora said. "Herbs were the only things I bought."

"You and Captain Levi were thugs?" Mikasa asked, taken aback.

"Yeah. Weird, huh?" Pandora said. "Well, I should be get going. I have to tell Hanji how he's doing."

Mikasa nodded her head and Pandora left the barracks. The next day, Eren woke up in the afternoon. Mikasa went to go find Pandora, or Levi, or even Hanji, to report he woke up. The first person she found was Levi, who was having his tea in the dinning room.

"Captain," Mikasa began to say, "he woke up."

Levi set his tea down and stood up. "I'll go get Hanji and Pandora. You go back to your friend," Levi said, then left the room. He found them moments later in the kitchen, eating what seemed like soup. "Pandora, Hanji," Levi called them. Both women stopped talking and turned to see Levi standing by the doorway. "He's awake."

--------

Pandora set a bucket of warm water on the desk next to Eren's bed and let the cloth she held soak. Pulling it out and squeezing the excess water, she handed it to Eren. "How are you feeling," she asked.