Chapter 54: Bittersweet

Before Pandora and Levi got married the next day in front of their friends from the Scouts, Erwin had called Pandora into his office where the commander-in-chief, Commander Pixis, Commander Nile, and other officers awaited for her. However, when Pandora entered the office, she saw her brothers, sister, and her own daughter in there as well.

"What's going on?" Pandora asked as the door closed behind her.

"All the aristocrats are getting their titles exterminated," Erwin began to explain. "Your surname, Castañera, is a title as well given by your great great grandmother, Victoria."

"Oh, I see..." Pandora said as she stood next to her daughter.

"Now, now," Zackly began to say, "all you guys have to say is that you will deny the title and use the given name your father gave you instead of your mother. For Evelina's case, she'll do the same, but will have your surname Pandora, which makes no difference, but I like to explain," he said. He handed a piece of paper over to Pandora first, which she took and looked over. "Recite it and you'll be free to go."

Pandora didn't mind giving up her name at all, she hated it and all that surname stood for and she gladly excepted that change. Plus, she would become an Ackerman, as she was going to marry Levi soon. However, she didn't know how her siblings felt about the change.

She looked down at the paper and began to recite the words, adding her name in the blanks as instructed on the paper. "I, Duchess Pandora Victoria Rivera-Castañera, deny thy name Castañera and shall use Rivera instead," she recited. It was short, but on to the point. She handed the paper over to Evelina and she recited it as well and soon, the family had now recited the letter in front of them.

"Very well," Erwin said. "From now and on, you will be Riveras, not Castañeras. Your documents will say up until now you were known as Castañeras. That is all. You are all free to go."

Pandora had never realized how much that name/title had weighed her down because when she left the office, she felt like she could breathe and she felt her shoulders lighter than ever before. She just wished her son was here so he would have the name removed.

Not too long after that, as Levi had said yesterday to the 104th, Pandora and Levi got married. It was a small ceremony as it was last minute and no one really had any nice clothes for it or were expecting it, so it looked like any gathering just without their uniforms and the ordained minister. After Pandora and Levi tied the knot, Pandora could swear she didn't think she would ever see Levi as happy as she did the moment she said "I do," to him.

When the ordained minister had pronounced them husband and wife and told Levi to kiss the bride, which he did without a second thought, the Scouts cheered, clapped, and whistled. Hanji was the one who cheered the most and clapped and whistled. She knew one day they would find their happiness with each other and marry, and it brought her joy, but it also made her realize Mike, Nanaba, Alec, Jordan, Nora, and Germany weren't here to see these two get married.

However, although the wedding was a wonderful break from the harsh reality, they all had to get back to work in fixing what the monarchy had messed up. Pandora and Historia attended many meetings with the military and went over many documents and signed many important papers. Occasionally, Levi was with her a lot, but she had to go to places while he was needed elsewhere.

Two weeks later after Pandora and Levi had gotten married, Pandora stood in the old library of her old home where she was mentally abused mostly by her mother and god knows what other secrets the walls and ceilings they held. Between her siblings and her aunts and uncles, they decided to turn the palace into an orphanage since the one Historia had put up in the countryside was full.