Chapter 53: Recovery and A New Beginning

Levi tended Pandora's wounds once they got back to Orvud District. He had her set down on a table while he sat in a chair with the first aid kit balancing on his thigh. Pandora hadn't spoken a word since they left the prison. Instead, she cried silently to herself as she hugged Evelina as tight as she could. The only time Pandora showed expression was when Levi will put a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol over a cut and it stung her. Other than that, she looked completely miserable. This didn't last long, however, as Pandora seemed to have a normal headache after being in silence for so long. Plus, she had to ask Levi how did it came about that he was an Ackerman himself and if he was related to Mikasa.

"Levi," her voice came out scratchy and shaky, "how come you're an Ackerman?"

"My mother," Levi answered. "She was an Ackerman. But she died many years ago when I was a small child."

"So... your mother, she was Kenny's sister then," Pandora stated. Levi nodded his head in response. "Was your mother good to you?" Pandora asked.

Levi gave a small, but melancholic smile. "She was the best," he responded. "I wish she lived through her illness."

"I'm sorry for her death," Pandora said. "I'm sure she'll be proud of you for all the things you've manage to get through."

"And I'm sorry for the death of your son and all those close to you," Levi said. "I know you blame yourself for their deaths, but just know you did everything you could to help them."

Pandora nodded her head, too afraid to speak because there was a chance she would cry again. But her emotions got the best of her and in the end, after holding back her tears and the lump on her throat growing bigger with every second, she began to shed tears. Levi wiped away every tear that she shed and brought her into a hug.

Pandora hugged him tightly around his torso and cried into his shoulder. "Please don't leave me," she begged.

Levi understood what she meant by leaving her and hugged her tighter. "I don't plan, nor do I dare think of leaving you," he answered. "I'll be right beside you."

---

Erwin came into the infirmary with Hanji following behind him, begging him not to disturb her. However, he didn't listen to Hanji's pleas as he was ready to put his plan in action. He got to the room Levi took Pandora in and opened the door. Pandora was fast asleep in the bed while Levi was organizing the first aid kit on a table not to far from her.

Erwin was taken aback to see her sleeping, but he snapped out of it quickly and looked over at Levi. "Levi, it's time to crown her," Erwin stated.

"Now?" Levi asked, a bit surprised by the sudden outburst. "And lower your voice, also."

"Erwin, now isn't a good time," Hanji whispered over to the tall male.

"Yes, now. Rod Reiss is gone and we have to do this now while we have the chance," Erwin said.

"Pandora just lost her son," Levi stated. "She's not emotionally ready to move on from the events that happened hours ago."

Erwin and Hanji were surprised to hear the news. "Valentino?" Hanji asked. "Oh... That's terrible."

"Yes, it is," Levi said. "It's not a good timing to crown her yet. Unless, she's willing to," he motioned towards Pandora, who was now sitting up and rubbing the sleep away.

"What's going on?" Pandora asked, her voice raspy.

"Pandora, I plan to have you crown now," Erwin said, turning his attention to her.

"N-now?" Pandora asked, taken aback by the sudden command. "B-but that's too soon."

"Is that your opinion?" Erwin asked.