Chapter 58: Shinganshina

Nightmares was something that occurred a lot to Levi ever since he "joined" the Scouts. All of them involved his past and fake futures that were caused by his paranoia. Tonight, the night of the expedition to Shinganshina, was no exception. He woke up in cold sweat, panting from the nightmare he dare not remember.

He sat up and rub the sleep away from his eyes. He saw it was still dark outside and sighed in frustration because the expedition to Shinganshina was going to happen tonight. He knows people are going to lose their lives, even if the expedition was during the nighttime, he could feel it in his gut, but he doesn't know which people. Or, that could be because this was the first expedition during the nighttime and didn't know what to expect. Sure, the Titans are less active at night, but you can't really see them.

In all, he wished he knew how and when people were going to die, then maybe he could find a way to avoid such tragedy. Then again, would he be there in time? Or would he fail like the many times like when he went to go help Isabel and Farlan, only to be there too late. Or when he went to go retrieve his squad, only to find out they met their fate with the Female Titan.

Oh, how he wished he was there in time to stop it all from happening. But what was one to do now? He can't bring back the dead. And he sure as hell can't stop time either. I guess it's one of those wait-and-see types of situation, he thought to himself as he laid back down on the bed.

He looked over to where Pandora was sleeping next to him. His nightmare was about her dying on the expedition, so he was uneasy. He's probably going to be uneasy about it all day, but Pandora probably would tell him everything will be alright, because that was what she'll say and usually, she was right. Either way, even though she's right, he can't help it. Though, Pandora could sympathize with him on that subject because there were many times where she would wake up from a nightmare about him dying on an expedition and then being paranoid about it all day.

Nothing is going to happen to her, Levi thought to himself. Pandora is a strong woman. She is capable of taking care of herself and fending for herself. She's been in many expeditions and has survive. She can make it out of this one. She's strong and she can make it.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard Pandora whimper in her sleep. Then, all of a sudden, she yelled and sat up quickly, wide awake. She was breathing heavily, as if she ran for miles without breaks, and she was sweating.

Pandora didn't know what to do; whether to cry or to just continue screaming from fright. The nightmare was probably the worst nightmare she has ever had, and she hoped it wouldn't happen in real life, because if it did, then she would be screwed and she would lose everything dear to her. She couldn't calm down. Not even when she felt a hand on her shoulder, no doubt Levi's.

"Pandora? Pandora, it was just a nightmare," Levi stated with concern.

"I-I know it was, b-but I'm still scared," Pandora managed to say in between her deep breathes in order to calm herself down. "I-I know."

"Was it that bad? I've never seen you freak out like this before," Levi asked.

"Y-yeah," Pandora answered, not daring to remember it. She just sighed. "Sorry for waking you up."

"Don't worry. I've been awake," Levi stated.

"Why?" Pandora questioned.

"Well like you, I had a nightmare and I couldn't go back to sleep," Levi answered. You see, he has learned there really was no point in keeping his nightmare problem a secret from Pandora, when he knew she was going to know, sooner or later, by his actions the following day that he had a nightmare.