Chapter 61: Father of the Year

"M-my dad?" Pandora questioned. "B-but my father died years ago... my mother killed him! What do you mean you're my father?"

"About that situation, let me explain what really happen," he began to explain. "My brother, your uncle Carlos- do you remember him?"

"Uncle Carlos?" Pandora questioned, trying to recall some memory of this person. "I-I think." It was hard to tell if she had met him. Silvia didn't like to visit her dad's family because she claimed them to be problematic. So the odds of Pandora meeting her uncle Carlos were very slim. Maybe she has met him, but maybe twice or so.

"It is okay if you do not remember him. You only met him four times and the last time you saw him was when you were four," he stated.

"Well, what about him?" Pandora asked, trying to get to the point.

"Yes. He warned me of a great evil coming towards me. I did not know what he meant by that. However, he had suggested that he take my place while I retreat to safety here," he said. "And here I am. Still in hiding."

"Hiding?"

"Yes. I now know what he meant..." he dropped his gaze to the floor. "Although I am in hiding, my other siblings and my nieces and nephews send me letters in secret about the things that happen in the family and humanity. It is terrible what became of my brother."

"... When did you leave us?" Pandora asked. She was a bit mad at him for leaving. He could have helped her, maybe even prevented being kicked out of home. Now that she knows about what happened, it all made sense how- in the final moment of living with her family, her father's personality was a bit off. She figured maybe she was just being weird, but now there's a reason.

"A week before your mother announced she was pregnant with our fourth child," he stated. "I remember feeling sad once I received the news."

"I can't believe you left us," Pandora said. "There were many times in which I needed you! Did you know how many times Silvia abused me!? Did you know?"

"N-no," he answered. "Pandora, I wanted to take you with me. I was well aware of how much that woman harmed you, but I could not. First of all, Silvia would have gone mad if she saw her eldest daughter with the secrets of the Castañera family missing."

"And what are the other reasons?" Pandora asked, though, there was a lot of sarcasm in her voice.

"The person who took me here could not take two people at the same time," he said. "Plus, my brother said he would keep you and your brothers safe. I wonder why he did not keep his word."

"He was probably scared to defend us against Silvia," Pandora murmured. "Although, he did say a couple of things when things got out of hand..."

"Pandora, I am so sorry," he said. "I have- I have been a terrible father. I could not-"

"You weren't terrible," Pandora stated, getting up from the bed. "I sort of understand why you had to leave. I'm a little mad at you, but I understand."

"So you forgive me?" He asked, a bit of hope gleamed in his eyes. He even looked younger than he did a second ago.

Pandora nodded her head and immediately went to hug her dad. Her father immediately wrapped his arms around her. He even began to cry. Pandora noticed she reached her father only to his shoulders and she smiled.

"I have missed you so much," he said between his sobs. "I should have not left you with her. I should have taken you with me."

"It's in the past now," she said.

"My dear, I missed out on a lot. You are 33. I have missed at least twenty years," he said.

Pandora broke the hug to wipe away the tears that were beginning to fall. She had always loved her dad. He would have defended her against Silvia a lot when she was little and would always heal the emotional wounds left by Silvia.