#79: Nightmare?

Requested by leelyssant

INFORMATION:
1) Angst/ Fluff
_____________________

~Natsu's POV~
Smoke. I smell smoke. And where's there's smoke, there's fire.

I look around me. The ground is almost covered in flames. Everything is destroyed. Only remnants of the city remained, pieces too tiny to put back together.

I'm walking through the debris, examining the damage done to every small piece of rubble. Everything stinks.

The thought that it's the scent of corpses makes me shiver. I push it away.

A blinding light appears out of nowhere. I close my eyes, but it still hurts through my eyelids.

I look up, and there's a pathway. The castle hallway.

I'm confused. And curious, so I walk in.

The fiery world outside fades to nothing. I'm left standing alone in the corridor.

Until I hear a scream. A scream too familiar for my liking.

I take off, tail between my legs as I look for the source.

Where is she, where is-

There.

Holding onto her own stomach. She's coughing, standing unblanaced, looking like the smallest gust of wind would make her topple.

I get closer.

She hears my footsteps, and turns around. There's blood dripping from her lips.

She walks towards me, a bright smile on her pale face. She's limping.

She's one step away before her eyes dull. She stands still, not seeming to be looking at anything.

Then she falls. And blood pools around her.

And I fall, and my baggy white pants are soaked crimson.

Blonde hair is dirty, dusty, bloody.

Lucy is dead.

I shoot up, a gasp racking my body.

What... What in the-

I slap my hand over my mouth. The urge to vomit soon retreats.

I'm sweating all over, I notice. Everything feels sticky. It reminds me of the blood, and I don't like it, so I head off to take a shower.

I'm halfway through drying myself off when I think about her.

And then all the anxiety and paranoia washes back over me in waves.

I hastily throw on some clothes, and rush off to my room. I leave a note for Happy, and head out the door.

I'm walking at first, I'm sure of it. But then my surroundings start blurring more and more, and I think it's my eyes being sleepy, but I look down and I'm running, full speed.

I can't think of anything except the way she looked before she collapsed.

Lucy looked so... tired.

I don't want to see that look on her face. Never. Not if I have a say in anything.

I carefully, silently open her window. She'd definitely be mad in the morning. But it's whatever. As long as I know she's safe, it'll be alright.

I creep in, and she's snoring lightly. I'd never been more relieved to hear it.

I get into bed next to her, curl up against her, and close my eyes.

I can sleep now.

•••

I open my eyes to a furious blonde hitting me hard on the head.

"Natsu! How many times have I told you not to sneak into my room at night? It's creepy!" She hollers, and I grin. 

"It's just me, Luce. 'Not like I invited a stranger in."

"Well, it sure feels like it!" She cowers in embarrassment, and I frown.

Don't- don't do that.

I reach over, and pry her hands away from her face.

She's covering her mouth. It doesn't sit well with me.

"Nat-?"

I pull in her, and envelop her in my arms. I breathe in her scent- smells pure. Not contaminated by any blood or grime. Good.

"Hey," she whispers. "What's wrong?"

I sigh. "Everything."

She runs a hand through my hair, and I hum in delight. I love her.

"You what?" She speaks. I look at her, and she has the dumbest, most confused and most shocked look I've ever seen on her face.

"W-What? What did I say?"

"You love me?" Ah.

I thought out loud, didn't I?

"I mean, well, y-" I begin, but she screeches before I can finish.

"I love you too!"

Huh? "That was random, Luce." "Not as random as you were, geez!"

I chuckle, and pull her even closer, if that is even possible in the first place. She sighs contently, and I suppress the urge to do the same. This is nice, I can live with this.

"Natsu," Lucy croaks from under me. I look down, and her her brown doe eyes staring back at me. My heart thrums in my chest.

"Hm?" I hum in acknowledgement to her call.

"It was a nightmare, wasn't it?" She smiles at me, and the passion and understanding in her eyes makes me swoon.

"Maybe..." I stubbornly pout. She giggles and hugs me even tighter.

"Don't worry, I'm here. I'll always be here, Natsu."

I fall asleep in her arms that night.