#71: "Lucy, it's okay."

Requested by AllUsernamesInvalid . I promiseddddd

Information:
1) Angst/ Fluff
2) Slight blood and gore
3) There are a lottt of sensitive themes in here. Please don't read if you get offended or triggered by them.
4) Llloooonnnggggg-
_____________

~3rd Person POV~
It's been a year since Lucy Heartfilia had been lost.

And by lost, it doesn't mean physically, it means mentally.

Natsu hasn't been at the guild since that day. And not because of depression or longing or anything like that.

It was because she told him to.

~Natsu's POV~
"Don't you dare eat a single bite of that food, Natsu."

I groaned in pain. I hadn't eaten in days. I lost count how many after, what, 4?

It was a mission gone wrong.

Lucy, Happy and I had to capture this dangerous mage that lurked in the corners of a forest.

We found her, but she found us first.

She took Happy, threatening us to give in or she'd kill him. Lucy let her take control to keep the both of us safe.

Now Lucy was possessed, and if I didn't do what she said, she'd hurt her. I couldn't hurt Lucy.

So I did everything she told me to. I wouldn't eat, drink or sleep unless she said I could. I would even force myself to serve her if she so pleased.

I wanted to save Lucy, but I didn't know how. I just wanted her safe, in my arms again like none of this ever happened.

But not all wishes come true, do they?

~Time skip: 3 years later~
"One cut, two cut, three cut, four. Bleed and bleed 'till you drop to the floor."

Every slice was painful, but it was fine. It was all fine if it meant Lucy was safe.

I felt horrible, and I had no doubt that I looked worse. My whole body was feeling a mixture of numbness and stinging pain. Cuts and bruises littered my body, but it was okay.

Lucy was okay.

People from the guild tried to check up on me often these past few years, but Lucy never let me open the door. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I was dead.

"What are you thinking about, Natsu?" Lucy — no, this witch will never be Luce — asked. She grinned sadistically. But what scared me wasn't the grin, it was the fact that I'd gotten so used to it, it didn't scare me anymore.

"Don't stop cutting, dear. It'll all be worth it, remember? You said so yours elf, remember?!" She laughed like a banshee, shoving me down onto the floor. I cried out.

Normally, simple hits like that wouldn't hurt me in the slightest, but I was weak and thin. I eat only once every three days, and sleep once every five. It hurt.

But it's okay.

All of a sudden, for no reason that I knew of, the laughing stopped. I looked up, and saw a dead-eyed blonde staring right back at me.

Then she fell to the ground, and I let myself pass out.

~Time skip numero 2~
"Natsu? Natsu!" I heard an angel calling my name. I smiled.

I forced my eyes to open, blinking multiple times to get used to the bright light in Lucy's home.

"Luce?"

"Oh- Oh my gosh, Natsu."

I looked towards the source of the noise, seeing the beautiful blonde I fell in love with. Not possessed, not controlled, just her.

The joy that flooded through me in that moment of realisation was unexplainable.

"L-Luce? Is it really you?" I groaned, my throat horse from not using my voice in a while.

That happiness from earlier dissipated in an instant. She was crying.

I willed my hand to move with all the energy I had, and reached up to gently caress her cheek. She grasped onto my hand frantically, pressing it closer and closer to her face as she sobbed.

"I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry!" She screamed. I could almost feel the heartbreak laced in the words, and it made my heart break.

"Shh, Luce, it wasn't your fault." I stuttered out.

"Yes, it is!" She yelled, staring at me in utter shock and disbelief, "I was weak! Its my fault you're like this."

"It's always my fault." She whimpered. At that, I shot up, eyes and arms wide as I enveloped her shaking frame in a hug.

"Please stop blaming yourself, Lucy. You couldn't do anything about it. It's not your fault."

"That's the thing! I couldn't do anything!" The fragile girl in my arms exclaimed.

I stroked her hair gently. She felt like a piece of glass, one wrong move and she'd shatter to pieces.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you, Luce. I love you." I told my girlfriend, smiling at her as brightly as my tired body would let me.

"I-I love y-you, too!" She cried, crying even harder at my declaration.

I held her as she cried, unable to do anything but be there for her.

•••

"Natsu!"

"You're back!"

"How're 'ya feeling, buddy?"

Cheers and warm welcomes invited me into the guild I called home.

Lucy slowly peeped in from behind me, frowning, eyes shut tight in fear.

For a moment, all was silent.

"Lu!!" A bookworm brunette ran over, grabbing the blonde into a bear hug. Juvia and Wendy joined eagerly, and Erza made her way over with a soft smile.

"L-Levy! Guys!" Lucy smiled.

After her crying episode ended, she immediately took to caring for me. She lifted me up with ease — she was strong, and I wasn't exactly heavy anymore, either — and brought me straight to bed. She let me sleep for as long as I needed.

I woke up, and a warm bath was already ready for me. Lucy guided me to the bath like the loving girlfriend she is, and helped clean me to the best of her ability. She even threw aside her own embarrassment and got into the bath with me to ease my embarrassment.

I love her so much.

The guild completely forgave her, and let her back in as part of the family. I was so proud of her for facing her fears this way.

"Hey, Natsu?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too, Luce."