#30: Protection

Information:

1) Angst/ Fluff
___________________________
^^^Inspiration/prompt^^^

~Natsu's POV~
"Lucy!!" My voice rang through the forest, the leaves on the trees swaying from the volume.

I slowly tried to get up, my arms propping me up as I glared at the monster that held her.

"Let go of her!" I yelled in vain. My legs were shaking as I got up, me almost falling down from where I stood.

My arms were bruised, my legs were bleeding, and there were cuts everywhere on my body.

Despite my heavy injuries, I ran towards the monster and lit my body on fire, attacking the monster with all the magic power I had left.

The monster eventually gave up and let Lucy go mid-air. I saw her fall, and I instinctively ran towards her and caught her in my wounded arms. I almost collapsed on the spot, but I stayed strong.

"N-Natsu..." Lucy whispered before passing out from exhaustion.

I stroked her head gently and kissed her forehead.

I started my agonising journey out of the forest. My legs were gonna give up on me, I knew that. But I also knew I had to keep walking.

The guild was quite close by, so I could make it back in time, at least I hoped so.

I felt a small amount of blood trickle down my back, and immediately knew it was Lucys. I started to speed up, wanting to get to the guild as quick as possible to save her.

After around an hour of walking, trembling and looked behind my shoulder to make sure my best friend was okay, I felt like giving up.

But I couldn't, I knew I couldn't. Lucy was on my back, passed out and injured, and I too was injured, I could not give up now.

The guild soon came into sight, and I heaved out a deep sigh of relief. I walked as fast as I possibly could with bleeding legs towards the guild and kicked the door open, despite the immense pain that followed after.

"Natsu!" Erza, Gray, Mirajane, and Wendy all came rushing to me at the sight of our injuries.

I carefully handed Lucy to Erza and smiled, my legs loosing all strength and collapsing beneath me, bringing the rest of my body with it.

I closed my eyes and finally felt the stinging pain in my legs, arms, and the rest of my body, but I smiled. I smiled because I knew they would take care of Lucy, and that was all I really cared about at that moment.

I blacked out.

~Time skip~
I opened an eye, the other, and sat up in my bed. I saw I was in the infirmary, my wounds all wrapped with bandages and partially healed by Wendy. I looked around and saw Lucy sleeping peacefully in the bed next to me.

I immediately got off my bed, despite my still aching wounds and climbed into her bed. I wrapped my arms around her, careful not to put too much pressure on her wounds and smiled.

Before I knew it, I fell asleep again.

~Wendy's POV~
I slowly and quietly opened the door to the infirmary, hoping to be able to heal Natsu and Lucy again, but I saw something adorable.

Natsu was asleep in Lucys bed, arms wrapped around her. Firm enough to protect her, but not tight enough to hurt her. They were both smiling, their eyes closed with peaceful looks on their faces. They looked so calm.

I smiled and closed the door, making a mental note to come back at another time.

"Hello Wendy. Are Natsu and Lucy any closer to recovery?" Erza asked me.

I smiled and shook my head.

"Natsu woke up and slept in Lucy's bed. I decided I'd just let them sleep for a little while longer." I said. Erza sighed.

"Fine, but we'll go to them in 30 minutes. I'll get Natsu to wake up whether he wants to or not."

~(spongebob narrator voice) 30 minutes later~
~3rd Person POV~
"Erza, be careful! They're still wounded!" Wendy frantically tried to calm Erza.

The red-haired demon had her arms around Natsu, trying to pull him off Lucy. The Salamander was trying to keep his arms wrapped around the celestial wizard, whining as he was tugged away.

Lucy slowly opened her eyes when she heard growling and whining.

She looked over her shoulder to see the three wizards yelling. She simply closed her eyes and yelled, "Shut up!"

And all noise seemed to cease.

Lucy saw Natsu was still asleep, and that made her smile.

Even in his sleep, his first priority was to protect her. Given the constant whining — which Lucy assumed was Natsus, she knew he didn't want to let go, which resulted in Erza trying to pry him off.

"He just wants to protect me, that's all." Lucy looked down at Natsu and ruffled his hair.

"Natsu, wake up." As if it was magic, Natsu sprang up.

"Lucy? You're awake!" And he jumped on her.

"Yeah yeah, I'm awake. Now get up so Wendy can heal you." Natsu obeyed and sat up straight, a smile on his face as Wendy did her thing.

Erza smiled and nodded.

"I see you have Natsu under control, Lucy. I'll be taking my leave now." Erza said. Lucy bid goodbye and Erza left the room.

Wendy smiled.

"How do you take care of Natsu so well? As far as I know, he's untameable." Wendy said.

"Hey, I'm sitting right here, 'ya know." Natsu deadpanned.

Lucy giggled.

"I don't really know, he kinda just... listens to me, I guess." She smiled.

Wendy finished healing both Natsu and Lucy, and made her way to the door to let them rest.

"Well, it seems like you're the key to taming him, so keep him out of trouble, ok? For the sake of the whole guild." Wendy laughed.

Natsu sat there and listened to the two girls laugh.

His eyes never leaving Lucy as her brown eyes shone.

Natsu himself started smiling at the sight, and he didn't realise he was staring until Lucy called him.

He snapped out of his daze and lay down beside Lucy, patting the empty spot on the bed beside him, gesturing her to lie down.

They went back to the sleeping position they were in before, and drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

Natsu Dragneel was Lucy Heartfilia's personal bodyguard, wether she wanted him to be or not.