Honest

Mena's POV

After hours of waiting, the investigation going at Naomi's house had been finished. This experience had been by far the craziest, scariest thing that had ever happened to me. I could still hear her scream for help, it broke me. Everything started to make sense, why she was so closed off, why she didn't want to let anyone know what she's going through or how she felt. I don't know of anyone who would ever like to think of something like this happening to them, much less have to speak of it to anyone. I look at Naomi who sat next to me on the couch with a bruise on her lip and right cheek. 

"Hey, I know this may seem weird but I actually think you look hot with that bruise on your lip. Makes you look dangerous." I said to her trying to lighten the mood. 

I heard a small giggle come out of her mouth, "I wish I thought I look hot." She said as she applied more ice on it. A silence arose as we both sat there an acknowledged our situation. 

"Naomi." I said breaking the silence, as I remembered the reason as to why I came to her house in the first place.

"Yeah?" 

"Look, maybe this isn't the time, but we need to talk."

I saw Naomi sit up and put her ice down. "Can we do this in my room?" She asked. "My parents are outside with the police, I'm sure they won't mind." 

I nodded in agreement and we both went upstairs. I could tell she was nervous, at least more nervous than she was before.

"What's going on?" She sat on her bed. "Did I do something?" She said scared. 

"No it's just...okay. I know you've been through so much and I've noticed you just never tell anyone anything. You're so closed off Naomi, I can't figure you out. I don't know if you're happy or sad, or what you're thinking. And I'm not saying I need to know everything of course, but I'd just...I'd like to help you. I feel like it'd be so much better for you to talk about your feelings than to bottle them up. Like today, lunch was so fun but your phone vibrates and suddenly your face just changes. And I try to talk to you about it and you smile and act like nothing in the world bothers you and I don't want you to pretend around me. I just want this to be real, because it's felt more real than anything else I've experienced in my life." I said to her as I went to grab her hand. "And it's all been so fast I know it has but, I lo–" I paused myself, was I really going to tell this girl I loved her? It was too soon. 

I saw Naomi's eyes widen. "You...what?" She asked with her accent. 

"I'd really love for you to trust me, even though we've known each other for a short time. Because I really like you and you make me happy." I blurted out. Phew, nice save I think. 

I saw Naomi sigh, "Look, I really care for you too and I do trust you. And maybe eventually it'll be easier for us to communicate in regards to my feelings. But you have to understand this isn't easy for me, at all. And I get it if you can't have a girlfriend that doesn't tell you everything. Which is why I think...we should just date for now." Naomi said as she bit her lip and looked down. 

I looked the other way, was I disappointed, or upset? I couldn't make out my feelings right now. But I had to pull it together. I cleared my throat, "Yeah, no, I understand it's okay. But just try to communicate a bit more okay? It's all I ask."

I saw Naomi sigh in relief. "Okay look, I will try my best to be...more open." She said nodding down. 

"Promise?" 

"I promise." She grabbed my hand. 

"Okay, well, look I have to head home already, it's getting late and my parents are probably wondering where I am." I said as I stood up to leave.