I'll Take That

Naomi's POV

I latched on to Mena's arm nervously as I waited for my mom to open the door. "It's going to be fine, my parents love you."

"No they loved Jordan and they liked High School me." Mena let out nervous breath, "It's fine, okay just keep it cool Mena." He shook his head.

"Relax— here we go." I heard the door unlock.

"Hi you guys, come on in!" My mom smiled. We both walked in, "So, you both look nice, what the occasion?" She raised her eyebrows at me.

"Umm is dad around?"

"I'm here, I'm here, just got held up doing work stuff. Mena it's been a while," He shook his hand firmly.

"It's nice to see you sir."

"Likewise, hi babygirl."

"Hey dad, uhh would you guys mind sitting down for a minute?"

"Okay..." My mom smiled at my dad, "Is it just me getting flashbacks?"

Taking in a deep breath, I smiled at Mena. "Okay so I'm assuming you both know why we're here but if something isn't quite clicking then, Mena and I, we're dating and we're happier than ever and well I wanted to able to share that happiness with you both, so yeah. There it is. Suprise!"

"Took you long enough." My dad raised an eyebrow at us. "Is the food ready yet sweetheart?"

"That's it?"

"What?"

"No lecture, or are you sure, or anything?"

"Naomi honey, you're an adult, and to be honest, we all saw this coming." My mom chuckled. "So, who's ready for some vegan Dahl?"

"Woah well, yay! I'm starving," I pulled Mena's hand to the table.

Finally he found words, "You didn't have to go through the trouble," He said to my mom.

"Oh please it's no trouble at all, you're family!"

"Well that's good to hear because I've got to use the ladies room, so you can all chat it up while I'm back!"

Mena's POV

I turned back to see Naomi closing the bathroom door, suddenly a silence took over the dining room. I hadn't expected for all this to go so good, but now that it had I saw this is as the perfect time.

Quickly I cleared my throat, "Excuse me sir,"

"Yes?"

"Well I know my history with your daughter is, not the simplest but... I love her, very much and if it's not too much I'd like to ask for your blessing." Naomi's mom dropped her spoon as she turned to her dad.

"Our blessing?"

"Yes," I took in a nervous breath, "I know this seems fast but I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. She makes me the happiest person in the world..." Naomi's dad raised his eyebrows and looked down.

"And you make her happy?"

"I like to think so," I chuckled nervously.

"And do you think you—"

"Oh will you just say yes already?" Her mom interrupted.

Naomi's dad smiled and stuck his hand out, "You better be the one."

Finally a weight felt like it was lifted off of my shoulders. "Oh welcome to the family Mena!" Her mom ran up to me and gave me a hug! "So, when are you popping the question?"

"Well I need a ring first," I smiled nervously.

"Oh don't you worry we'll help you out."

"Help him out with what?" Naomi startled us all.

"With, uhm the recipe for this delicious food,"

"Right! Yes, I was just asking your mom because I wanna learn more indian food cause I know you love it so much."

"Aw, you're so cute."

I chuckled nervously, "Yeah, you too babe..."

"So what are we all waiting for? Let's eat!" Naomi's mom said laying out the last bit of the food on the table.

After a few long hours, countless laughs and a mess on the table, we finally finished up our lunch. I swear I didn't remember her parents being so chilled out in high school. It was a bit strange but it felt nice being treated like family.

"Well it's getting late, we should be heading home already."

"Home?" Her mom turned her head.

"Uhh yeah that's something else, Mena actually moved in with me a while back, hope thats alright."

"It's fine just let us know these things next time."

Naomi let out a giggle, "I will I promise, thanks for lunch momma, I missed you."

"Missed you too baby girl, or well I guess not so baby girl anymore." Her mom went to hug her tightly. "I'm so happy for you Nay."

"Uhm thanks mom, I'll see you guys soon okay. Love ya Dad!" She shouted as we both walked out the door. "Well that was... interesting."

"Tell me about it I'd never felt so accepted so quickly like ever." I laughed.

"Ahhh yeah, but I'm glad. We owe this to ourselves... all these years."

"Yeah I guess so." Nay stopped walking and gave me a hug.

"Have I told you I love you so much?"

"You know I believe you have but I never get tired of hearing it."

"Well then, I love you I love you I love you!" She gave me a quick peck before running into the car.

"What was that?" I ran in as well.

"What'd you mean what was that it's freezing!"

"You're always so cold, we have to buy you a jacket or something."

Nay shrugged her shoulders and smiled. "So what do you say, we finish house of cards tonight?"

"I say hell yeah, but that's if I getting to finish you afterwards." I leaned into to her.

"Ahhh let me stop you right there, like I said, we've got to be careful."

"We are being careful, you're on the pill."

"Okay yes but the pill doesn't work all the time."

"Okay well then lets conduct an experiment to see if it does."

"I'm serious Meens." She laughed. "I'll think about it."

Gently I smiled at her and nodded."I'll take that."

______________________________

I'm trying to write as much as I can before starting school again on monday!! Hope you all have had a lovely start to your week.

Vote and Comment
Twitter: eienahoughiin
Instagram: elenashoughlin