red lines

"Austin, there are better times to bring up you want a baby," Ally speaks, not even looking at the man while she is kneeling on the floor, writing out her lesson plans for the week. "Seriously. I need to have my exams done by Wednesday, and I haven't even started an assignment for the kids tomorrow."

Austin frowns from behind the couch. He jumps over if, and he lands in front of her. "We've been married for three months, Als. When is the time gonna be perfect?"

"When I don't have to worry about dumb high school kids bettering themselves," she smirks sarcastically, then continues to highlight something. "Seriously, Austin. I am the oldest of four kids. I know how troublesome babies and kids are and I just don't have the tolerance for them right now. I told you that before we got married."

He sighs, and stands up from his spot. "Alright, I guess."

She watches as he leaves the room in a slump and sighs. She has to find a compromise with her husband.

Later that night, after her shower, she's brushing her hair as she says, "We can try for one, but it has to be completely normal."

He looks up from the television to raise his eyebrow. "Huh?"

She sighs, turning from her mirror to him. "We can try for a baby, but the night has to be completely spontaneous. To me, at least. You already know I don't like planned sex, so if you can just... you know, make it happen naturally, we can try for a baby."

Austin grins, and stands to kiss her. Only when he gets too close, she places her hand on his chest and irks her eyebrow. "And we're only trying once a month. I know I'm only 24, so I'm still pretty young, but still. I feel like since I'm not pregnant at this point in our relationship, it's hard for it to happen. Because only god knows that I should've been pregnant with five kids just from freshmen year of college."

Austin chuckles, but he nods in agreement. "Can I kiss you now?"

She rolls her eyes, and turns. Ally goes back to brushing her hair as she murmurs, "No. You're gonna try to seduce me tonight and I have a meeting in the morning."

Austin chuckles once more and playfully rolls his eyes. "Man, you are the worst wife ever."

"Mhm. Say that to your future baby mama again and you'll have to find another."

———

Ally figures she kind of wants a baby for the sake of her husband sanity after she learns that subtlety just wasn't something that came with Austin when she married him.

He would always do a huge romantic gesture that she appreciated very much, but knew the reasoning behind it all and couldn't just let it happen.

But... as she comes after a very stressful day of work to rose petals and candles all over the floor, she realizes he would never learn.

But she loves him for it.

The roses lead up to their balcony, and she mentally swoons with amusement and love as she sees her husband outside the door, holding a guitar. He was going to serenade her? She doesn't think so.

So Ally goes outside on their balcony top, and before he could open his mouth, she kisses him in it.

Austin is shocked by her actions entirely, and almost stumbles. But he catches himself, then latches on to her small waist as he returns her actions.

"Mm— Ally, I was gonna—"

"You got it. You win," she speaks, pulling away, looking at him with a smirk as she unbuttons his shirt. "We're making a baby tonight."