best friends

"Hey, Austin!" His friends call, running towards them. The blond, fourteen-year-old turns around, waiting for his friends to meet up with him while he goes outside for lunch before he starts walking again.

Samuel, his first friend of high school, grins and pats his shoulder. "Are we still on for the arcade today?"

Austin winces and frowns, saying, "Can't. I promised Ally we'd study together today. You should be studying, too. We have exams in two weeks."

All of the friends around him groan, throwing their heads back. "You're always with Ally!"

"It's because he likes her," one of his friends teases, smirking. Austin's cheeks blush yet he rolls his eyes, denying it. "See!"

He rolls his eyes as they reach the opening to the courtyard. They lived on a small island called Gornra (this is not a real place). It was great because everyone knew everyone, so there weren't many huge conflicts. The population was a little under thousand, so there was only one school on the entire island. But it was sunny and clean and fresh; everyone loved it.

Well, excluding the sunburns.

He looks around until he sees Ally, talking with some of her friends. He starts to smile and head over to her spot, but something, or someone, catches hid eye. He sees someone in his spot next to her, dangerously close.

(Sure, he usually gets close like that to her, but he's known her for, like, well, his entire life! It's mandatory he's close to her.)

"These aren't enough bubbles!" A four-year-old Ally squeals, grabbing the bobble of blue bubble bath that her mother told them not to touch. She squeezes the rest of the contents out before kicking her legs everywhere.

"We're gonna drown!" Austin exclaims, slashing around with her, creating even more bubbles.

After they're done kicking, the bubbles are up to their mouth. Ally giggles and blows the bubbles away. Austin copies her actions and giggles also.

He sits up and clasps the bubbles in his hand, putting them around his mouth. "I'm Santa! Ho-Ho-Ho! Merry Christmas!"

Ally giggles and blows a hard breath so his beard is messed up. "It's July!"

Austin laughs, blowing the bubbles her way. "I could stay here forever!"

"Me, too!"

Unfortunately, their forever lasts a mere ten more seconds because her mom comes in to scold them.

Austin frowns, going over to an empty table. His friends follow with confusion masks on their faces, but Austin just shrugs, chewing on a pear.

"Austin!" A familiar voice calls from the north side of the cafeteria. Austin looks to see it's Ally, a confused smile on her face as she gestures him come over. Austin just sends a quick smile shaking her his head before fakely turning back to his friends.

Though, he sees her frown and her arm slowly go down as she turns back to her table, leaning on her arm. She only did that when she was upset.

Austin sighs, drinking his juice. They'd get over it.

Only... they don't.

The same boy sat next to her everyday and Austin, getting the wrong idea, just decided to not even go to the table anymore. Ally decided he didn't want to sit by her because he was embarrassed or something by his friends. She just sighs and glances his way as he sits at a different table everyday.