safe and sound

Ally is awakened at the sound of her phone ringing.

She had never been so annoyed she changed her ringtone to loud birds chirping.

She had finished a volleyball tournament a few hours prior and her body was aching. She was captain of the team, so she had the most work to do. Although they finished second in the city, it was still a pretty good title.

Sighing, she pushes herself up and reaches over to grab her phone. She doesn't look at the ID as she answers. It's probably one of the girls asking if she wanted to come over.

Their team was as close as family, but Ally always wanted to stay in bed and relax after practice or tournaments.

"Hello?" She slurs, lying back down with the phone on her ear.

"A-Ally? You-You awake?" The quivering voice says.

She immediately perks up. Ally takes the phone off her ear to look at the caller ID. She brings it back to her ear before sighing, "What happened?"

"I-I forgot to clean the kitchen."

"I'll be over in ten."

She doesn't change out of her pajamas, but throws on a hoodie and slips on her Ugg boots.

"I'll be back, Pumpkin," Ally tells her ginger kitten who was at her feet. She pets her head before grabbing her keys off her nightstand before exiting her room and heading out to grab her best friend.

In twelve minutes, she finds Austin outside his house with his sweats on but no shirt, or even shoes. Her eyes widen as she harshly beeps her horn, which gets his attention.

When he stands, she sees his little sister in his embrace with only her pajamas on too, but sound asleep.

Ally turns on her heat higher as he opens her backseat to put Kia in the back. He buckles her in before closing the door and going to the passengers seat.

Ally looks at him, then his sister, then back to him with fury in her eyes. "Austin, did he fucking kick you guys out? It's the middle of October."

Austin leans back in his seat with a sigh. He stares up at the ceiling as he nods. "He only kicked me out. I didn't want Kia to be there alone with him while he was drunk."

Ally looks at him for another moment before sighing and taking her car out of park. "Austin, you need to tell—"

"I turn eighteen in three months, Ally. After that, I'll be able to get custody of Kia and we can report the bastard. But for now, I'm just gonna suck it up."

Ally frowns at him as they stop at a red light. "I'm worried."

"Don't," Austin says as he looks out the window. "This has been going on for years. I can handle it."

She stares at the side of face, just frowning. "There's no way you'll be able to hide that bruise by Monday."

Ally was referring to the huge already-purple bruise on his cheek. "Did he punch you?"

Austin sighs and nods, not steering his eyes away from the window. "I'll be fine."

She senses he's not in the mood for a lecture so she just drops it.

"She can sleep in my room. You just take the guest room," Ally instructs as she holds Kia's sleeping form while they're going up the stairs. "You know where the sheets are."

Austin nods and he watches as she goes inside her room to place Kia down on her bed. Ally tucks the little girl into her covers and watches as Pumpkin purrs as she moves from her spot on the edge of Ally's bed to right at Kia's feet. She smiles before going back to her doorway and staring at Austin. "I'm eighteen already, Austin. I could take custody of Kia and—"