when the skies go off

They're looking up in the dark, night skies in his old treehouse as the many fireworks lit up the sky.

It wasn't the fourth of July; it was graduation day. Most of the students that they went to school with lived within a walking distance and they were partying. Just celebrating the four shitty years of the that hell of high school. The fireworks were illegal, so they're just waiting for the police.

"Why aren't you at those parties?" Austin asks, looking at her with his confused eyes and his against the door frame

Ally, leaning on the frame of treehouse's opening, sighing before looking at him. "Trent's gonna be at every single one. I can't face him after what that asshat did to me."

Austin frowns and looks at her. "So, the uh, rumors about Trent and you on prom and sneaking---"

"Yep, it's all true," she breathes out before looking in the sky again. "You know, I've always wondered what it was like back here. In you treehouse and stuff, I mean."

"It's not like we've ever hated each other," Austin shrugs as he speaks. "You could've came over."

"My parents wouldn't let me. When I wasn't in a volleyball tournament, I was doing homework. When I wasn't doing homework, I was with Trent, who they set me up with a year ago. When I wasn't with Trent, I slept."

He laughs softly. "Your parents have always wanted the best for you."

"Best? Austin, I hate my parents. They forced me to do everything. From volleyball to dating Trent to going on a freaking diet for months," Ally confesses, shaking her head. "They want me to be this big, perfect athlete. Before tonight, I haven't touched a cupcake in about five years. But that's alright, I'm going to college and I'm never going to pick up another volleyball again."

He laughs and holds his hand up for a high five. Playfully rolling her eyes, Ally leans over and high fives him. "What do you think you're majoring in?"

"Well, I made my prom dress myself and the team's uniforms, so maybe something in clothing designing," Ally shrugs before chuckling a bit. "You're the first person I've ever told any of this to. No one knows I designed my dress or the uniforms."

"I feel special."

"You should, you are."

Austin smiles and looks away from the colorful sky to look at her. "Well, you kind of are, too. I mean, first girl I've brought up here other than my mom."

She laughs and looks at him for a moment too. "I'm honored." Ally then looks around the treehouse. "Do you have any blankets up here? It's getting a little windy."

"No, but," he pauses to remove his hoodie and hands it to her. "You can use that if you'd like."

"Thanks," she grins, pulling it over her head. "I never realized how big you were."

"I never realized how small you were."

Ally laughs and shoves him slightly before putting her hands in the pockets. She feels something and raises an eyebrow before grabbing it and pulling out to her site. Her eyes widen slightly and she holds up the wrapper, giving him an amused smile.

"Why do you have a condom in here?" She asks, trying not to laugh.

Austin's eyes widen and his cheeks glow before he looks down, embarrassed. "I went to prom too, you know. Some girl asked me as a prank and the night of, she was leading me on and since I'm Austin The Virgin, I didn't know what the heck to do and she got it all on tape."

Ally's smile drops and she looks at him with her brows furrowed. "Did you guys...?"

"No. A bunch of guys walked in the locker room and threw me this condom before they left. I kept it because I knew they'd come back to me if someone found it."

Ally shakes her head and puts the condom back in the pocket before scooting closer to him and laying her head on his shoulders. "Austin, I was almost the most popular girl in school, and you're literally my next door neighbor; you could've came to me. You know for a fact that I'm not like any cheerleader or jock or anyone else who treats you wrong. I would've done something "

"Yeah, but Trent doesn't like me and you seemed happy with him, so if I said anything to you about certain people and he found out, it wouldn't help."

"Help with what? Giving me a reason to break up with him?"

"Well, you seemed happy with him and I didn't know about this hatred, so don't blame me."

Ally laughs, shaking her read as she looked down. "Did you ever think I was snobby or anything? Be honest."

Austin looks in the sky and then back at her. "Yeah, actually. But it was only because of your peers and what group you were in and all..."

Ally smiles and scoots closer to him, wanting to rest her head on her shoulder. "Thank you. No one ever tells me anything about myself if it's negative. Well, except my parents about volleyball. I even remember they wouldn't accept the fact that Trent was cheating on me, but was worried when I couldn't hit a ball once."

"You like hearing negativity?"

"Yeah, it helps the fact that I'm not perfect sink in. Sometimes, I think I have to be or am I, and it's nice to know I'm not."

"I never knew there was so much more to you, Ally." Austin says, astonished.

She nods and smiles at him before resting her head on his shoulder, and bringing her knees up and letting them fall on to his lap. "Mhmm, it feels good to let that off my shoulders."

"Why are you telling me all of this in the first place?"

"I have no more friends from high school," Ally shrugs with a sigh. "They all left me after the rumors. But you were always nice to me, despite our breakoff when we were younger. I wish I stayed your best friend."

Austin decides to be quiet after that, letting it all sink in. They sit in a comfortable silence, only laughing a bit when they finally hear sirens in the distance.

After a while in comfortable silence, Austin's his hand hestiatantly and shyly moves over to hers. She only noticed when his knuckles brushed again her lap. The most she does is smile before she meets his hand halfway, grasping it and evening going as far as lacing their fingers together.

She can't help but let out a laugh at his jump, not expect her to do so. He laughs along lightly, still a bit embarrassed. They fall back in their silence, just watching the stars with the noise of chaos going on.

Maybe it's for the better she has a little support system, because he's all she needs at the moment.

hope you all liked this!! :))