memorizing till you're home

"Alls, you said you'd be on a flight by now," says Austin sadly, on the phone with his girlfriend. "it's already seven and my favorite girl isn't in my lap with a cup hot chocolate in our hands while we watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special. It's our anniversary, Alls!"

There's a sigh on the other line. "Austin, we live in New York and it's Christmas Eve. You know how hard it is to get a flight back with the weather how it is over there. And I'm aware of that, hence the texts I sent you all morning."

"This is why I told you to just stay here, at the apartment. I even offered to come along! But nooo, you just needed to go on that stupid trip with your classmates and Steven."

"Steven's one of my classmates, Austin," the young woman sighs on the other line. "there's no need to single him out because you're jealous."

"He has tried to kiss you before!"

"You and I both know that was in a dream."

"But still!"

"Hey, Austin, I have to go, but I love you, alright? I'll be back for Christmas, promise." Ally speaks on the other line, hoping that he wasn't too upset.

"Love you, too," he grumbles out. "but don't expect cookies when you arrive."

"Can I expect a kiss or two from a certain blond, under the mistletoe that I just know he's hung up under every door in our apartment?"

"... We'll see." Austin grumbles once again, glancing at the mistletoe hanging in front of the living room entrance.

"Bye, Austin." She giggles out, hanging up the phone.

The blond puts his phone down on couch's arm before lying down and covering his face with his arm. "How will I ever survive without Ally? I'm barely alive now."

He closes his eyes for a moment to remember the other Christmases they've spent together.

He remembers their first one. They were only fifteen at the time, but their mothers had been college friends, so that led to Ally being drag on a trip to meet the Moon's.

-----

"Uh, hi," someone says, making Ally jump and look up from trying to pull off her glove. "sorry, didn't mean to scare you. My mom told me to introduce myself."

"Oh, nice to meet you," Ally says, a slight smile on her face. "I'm Ally, you?"

"Austin," the blond nods and eyes her weirdly as she goes back to pulling off her warm accessories. It was below zero outside and her face was as red as Santa's suit, so she must've been hot. "Here."

Without another word, he grabs her hand. Austin slightly blushing when he realized how small her hand is compared to his. Her face also lights up, though it's not really noticeable for her since she was already flustered. Regardless of the little tingly feeling in their stomachs, Austin pulls off her glove before handing it to her.

"Thank you, uh, Austin. I hurt my fingers from slipping on some ice earlier."

He latches onto her tiny fingers, ignoring the familiar feeling, and says, "When these get warm, you should try running some warm water on them. It doesn't work when your hands are cold because they're numb and stuff."