unsoundly kindness

Austin can feel stares on him as he enters the classroom.

Today was his first day of starting this school. His dad had move from Miami to California after divorcing his mom, so it was either California with his dad or Vermont with his mom and her new boyfriend.

Of course, he chose California.

The teacher pauses teaching to gesture for Austin to sit at an open seat by the window. "Welcome, Mr. Moon. You can just take the empty seat next to Ms. Dawson; she's by the window. I'll catch you up in a bit."

Austin gives her a slight smile before looking towards the window and sees a girl sitting there, writing in a journal. She was probably taking notes. He makes his way over to the seat, waving a few girls who gave him flirty looks and stares.

Austin places his bag on the ground and pulls his chair from besides her to sit. She doesn't seem to notice him until he has sat down.

Ally looks at him, smiling friendly. "Hi. I'm Ally."

She sounds a bit weird when she talks, so he figures she must be the weird girl of the school. No one else was sitting next to her, except for him and another girl that was beside him.

"Austin, nice to meet you," he says, giving her the same friendly smile.

Ally irks an eyebrow at him, shaking her head as she stared at his lips. "No, my name's Ally."

Austin irks his eyebrow, nodding slowly. "Okay... I said hi. I'm Austin."

"Oh, your name is Austin?"

"... yes?"

Ally gives him a bright smile and nods, going back to her journal as she says, "Oh, cool. Hi, Austin."

He can't lie, her smile lit his day, but she was still weird.

They go through the rest of class without talking to each other, which was awkward. When the teacher comes to catch Austin up, he's confused when she helps Ally as well. Maybe she wasn't good at the class, he thinks.

His day is pretty smooth. Everyone was pretty chill here. He even got a girl's number and invited to a party. Pretty cool day.

Only, when it was lunch, he confirms that Ally is the weird girl of the school. She eats lunch by herself and almost acts like no one else exists.

They had two other classes together, English, chemistry, and psychology. She was always alone in class and the teachers always checked on her.

Very strange girl.

//

As the weeks go on, he becomes the 'popular nice guy'. He's cool with everyone, the teachers like him, and he's nothing like the jerky popular jocks.

The weird girl, Ally, had a locker right next to his. He tries to be nice, saying hi and greeting her, but she never responds. It's pretty rude, but he's seen a few people bully her, so he guesses she associates him with the mean crowd now.

That sucks because he hates being seen that way, but hey, he'll live.

"So, Austin are coming to the party tonight?" His other locker neighbor, Cassidy, asks. He believes she has a crush on him and he would be lying if he said she wasn't the hottest girl he's ever seen. Strawberry blonde hair, pretty eyes, nice voice... she was heaven.

Austin looks away from opening his locker to shrug. "I dunno. You want me to come?"

"Yeah, it'll be fun with you there," she says, nudging him. "Seriously, come."