Chapter 80

Sophia

I had to know what Jane told him. Alexander briefly mentioned that she went to visit him, but didn’t elaborate. Whatever she said, it made him apologize for everything he did. I summoned for her to come to my room after breakfast. She seemed nervous as she entered and her eyebrows creased when I invited her to sit. After a few seconds of deliberating, she reluctantly did.

“Calm down. I am not mad at you.” I reassured.

Jane didn’t look me in the eye, but instead focused behind me. “Then, if you don’t mind me asking, why am I here?”

“I wanted to thank you for whatever you told Alexander. It really opened his eyes.”

She gave a tiny smile. “Well, it is familiar territory for me and I didn’t want to witness it again.”

This time it was my eyebrows that creased. “What are you talking about? Why would it be familiar territory?”

Her small smile faded. “As you may know, my family has found a vast fortune in mining, but that didn’t give us a title. In my father’s eyes, we were nothing unless we had power as well. When we were here as my father negotiated a deal with the King, his idea suddenly struck him. He forced me on to Alexander, but Alexander wasn’t what I originally wanted. I grew to love him, but my heart would always ache for Arthur.”

I wanted to hug Jane, but I decided that it wasn’t a good idea. “Arthur was your first love.”

Her smile returned with a delicate flourish. “Yes. He was a worker in one of my father’s mines. He had such a vivacious spirit. I loved the attention he gave me. I have never felt as special as I did when I was in his arms.” Her face became solemn and she cleared her throat. “Last month, he died in a horrible accident while at work. A boulder crushed him, but it crushed my heart even more. That is why I made myself available to come back. I had to keep up my charade with you so I wouldn’t break down. Sometimes, if you act strong on the outside, you feel strong on the inside.”

I couldn’t hold back anymore. I hugged her for a long time. It was silent but comforting for us both. Eventually, I let go. “I want you to be the first one of my friends to know something.” I emphasized the word friend so she understood that I did consider her one.

She leaned closer to me for the secret. “What is it?”

“I’m pregnant.” I thought the smile on my face would have given it away, but Jane looked plenty surprised.

She embraced me and whispered, “That is so amazing.”

As she released me, I let a thought that had been rolling around in my head for a few minutes escape. “You deserve to be happy again. There are so many people who would be lucky to have you and who can give you what you need to make your family proud.”

Jane sighed. “I hope you’re right.”

I knew I was. This new side of her made everything simpler. Despite my original beliefs, there were people on my side here. I knew I could rely on her as she could rely on me. My life had so many uncertainties, but I was finally content with where I was. I was married to an amazing man, who had his flaws, but that proved that he was human. I was going to be a mother, something I always dreamt of and I had amazing friends who I knew would be there for me. It became easier to not focus on the negatives, such as my family all being held as hostages by my greatest foes.