Chapter 41

Sophia

He was so silent, so emotionless. I tried to speak to him several times to explain my choice, but he was unresponsive. I couldn’t think of anything else to do but leave. Tears were still falling from my eyes, but not because I lost someone I deeply cared for, but because I caused him pain. I was angry at myself. My presence at court has driven a wedge between the two closest brothers in the world and broken one of their hearts. I wanted to be alone so I could feel the full impact of my selfishness, but I ran into Amelia first. She was curled in a ball in the corner of the hallway. Her crying echoed through the area. I silently sat on the floor next to her.

As soon as she noticed me, she wiped away the streaks on her face and tried to calm down. “I’m sorry…” The hysteria was back.

“No, it’s alright Amelia. Tell me what’s wrong.” I begged.

It took a few minutes for her to have enough composure to finally speak, but eventually she did. “I am having a bad day. I’ve had quite a few actually.”

“What is going on? Be honest.”

“I’ve heard the other girls speak of their many options as far as husbands go. They have every man in court asking for their hand, but not one has even looked at me.” She articulated.

“Oh, I’m sure that’s not true. You are beautiful too.” I sighed.

“Even if I am, they know me. They have warned each other of me. I may have been generously gifted a title from your mother, but that doesn’t give me anything. I am of no noble blood and have no dowry to offer my future husband. I offer nothing… but love.” Amelia wept.

I understood. “Love is very complicated. I will help you.”

“How?”

I stroked her hair as I spoke. “I can’t help you with royal blood. That you will need to conquer on your own, but I can give you money as a dowry. I have plenty.”

“I would never ask you to do that.” Her dark brown eyes looked so broken.

“I know. You didn’t ask. I offered.” With that, she wrapped her arms around me and I did the same. It was good to have that comfort because on the inside, I was breaking.