Chapter 79

Sophia

Alexander’s face became frozen as I finally changed my expression. I could see the shock of my announcement clearly on him. He stood still for a few seconds, but quickly regained his composure. I lifted myself from the couch as Alexander came running over to me, a huge smile on his face.

He wrapped his arms around me. “Sophia, that is incredible.” His words were muffled by my hair.

I didn’t know how to feel about his reaction. Part of me was ecstatic that he wanted this as much as me, but the other part of me wasn’t sure I did want it as much as him. It felt just as confusing as it sounds. I’ve always wanted this, but it didn’t feel as good as I thought it would.

Alexander pulled back from our hug and read my face. “Is something wrong? Are you feeling alright?”

I separated myself from him and walked to the window. I didn’t look at Alexander as I spoke. “I feel fine. I am just exceptionally confused.”

“What do you mean? Are you not happy about this?” He questioned. Even when he sounded concerned, there was a lining of joy under it.

I placed my hand on the glass, cool with the night breeze. “I never imagined it would be like this. I never imagined that I would find out I’m pregnant as my family is being held captive. I never thought I would be pregnant while still trying to figure out my relationship with my husband. Honestly, I don’t even know where I stand with you.”

Alexander walked up behind me and put his hand on my back. “I know this is a hard situation, but it’s a blessing. God has given us an amazing gift. I understand you are upset over your family, but we are doing everything we can. As far as we go, I do not blame you for being angry with me. I made a horrible decision and I’m sorry. We will work it out. We can be good parents even if I am still trying to prove myself to you.”

It was all clear to me in that moment. I was tired, but not physically. I was emotionally tired of everything I had been through I the past few months. Ever since I got here, things have been tearing at my resolve. I just wanted to stop caring and give myself a chance to be happy.

I was the only person standing in the way of everything I wanted in life. I turned to look Alexander in the eye. “I don’t trust you completely, but I do trust you more than I trust anyone else. It takes a strong person to apologize for something that they could have forgotten about.” I smiled. “I forgive you and want to move on to the next chapter of our lives.”

He smiled back at me. “You don’t have to do that for me. What I did was wrong and I need to fix it.”

“You did by being you.” I was ready to move on from this horrible time, but I would still be cautiously watching Alexander, looking for a change that would destroy everything we have.