Chapter 24

Alexander

I stormed through the halls until I reached Matthew’s room. I didn’t bother knocking. I pushed his door open and it hit the wall with a loud thud. He was sitting at his desk writing and looked up as I came in.

“Good morning?” He laughed and stood up.

“Where is she?” I blurted out, walking towards him.

“Where is who?” He looked confused, but I wasn’t falling for it.

“Sophia. Where are you hiding her?”

“Why would I…” I didn’t let him finish his sentence before I pushed him against the wall. I grabbed the collar of his shirt with one hand and held the other against his shoulder. He squirmed, but I held him there.

“I’ll say it one more time. Where are you hiding Sophia?” I growled.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I haven’t seen her since she was in the infirmary two days ago. I assume she’s in her room.”

“Really? I visited her this morning, making sure she was okay after everything that happened yesterday. She wasn’t there and her maid said she saw her go to sleep last night.” I held him more firmly against the wall.

“So you think I have her. You think I stole Sophia from her room,  brought her here, slept with her, and then tied her up to hide her from you. Why would I do that?” He argued.

“Why would you kiss her? They’re all very good questions, but I don’t care for an answer because there is none that would make it any better. What matters is her safety. Don’t lie or you will pay dearly for it. Do you have her or know where she is?” I said the question slowly so he wouldn’t miss a single word.

Matthew looked me straight in the eye. “No.”

I released him and walked away. Just as he was about to speak, a page opened the door. “Excuse me your graces, but I have a message for you.” He nodded towards me.

“What is it?” I asked.

“A merchant has information regarding the whereabouts of your fiancée and will share them if he is rewarded.” He squeaked.

Sophia’s whereabouts. “Please tell him that he will be substantially rewarded if his information is relevant.” I said. The page nodded and pulled his head from the door.

I turned to Matthew. “This doesn’t mean I forgive you.”