Chapter 114

Sophia

Confinement was exactly as it sounded. I was brought to a room in the far corner of court. It was hidden away behind several other rooms. Inside it was very tiny. There was a large bed in the center of the room and several small cots lined up against the far wall. There were several chairs and a full bookcase. The shades were closed to block out the sunlight. A fireplace held a roaring fire as it heated the room. There was a large stack of wood prepared to fight against the chilly January air.

I got into the bed and remained there for days. Several midwives were always in the room, hovering over me every time I moved.

Only women were allowed in to see me. Amelia came to see me every day. She would always smile and act as if she were enjoying herself, but I saw something in her. I was sure it had to do with my argument with Eloise. I could see it in Jane’s eyes as well when she visited me briefly every few days. Eloise never came with them and I never requested to see her. I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t even know how to feel.

I spent my days doing nothing for the most part. I wasn’t allowed to stand for more than ten minutes at a time and I couldn’t leave. I did a lot of reading, but after a few days, the books on the shelves didn’t interest me anymore. Boredom quickly overcame me.

I was excited when someone new came to visit me, even if it was the Queen. She smiled as she entered. Everyone in the room dropped to a low curtsey. I contemplated if I was supposed to as well, but I remained in bed.

She nodded for them to stand up as she made her way to me. She sat down in the chair right by my bedside.

“I remember being exactly where you are now. I gave birth to Victoria almost six years ago. But it was eighteen years ago when I was truly in your place, having my first child.” Her eyes were kind as they looked at me. “It is terrifying, not knowing what to expect or what’s coming.”

Was I terrified? I had been so caught up in everything else going on that I hadn’t spent much time thinking about it. Now that childbirth and motherhood were staring me in the face, I was becoming nervous. “Yes, it is very daunting.”

The Queen nodded. “I am not here to irritate you or scare you. I am here as a friend. Your other friends do not exactly know what you are going through. I want to help.”

I smiled. “Thank you. I know Alexander doesn’t appreciate you as much as he should, but I appreciate you being a mother, of sorts, to me.”

She repositioned herself in her chair. “Speaking of Alexander, I have heard that you two are having a bit of a disagreement.”

My smile dropped. “I am not sure if disagreement is the right word. It is very complicated.”

Queen Margret nodded. “I understand that, but if anyone knows about complicated relationships, it is me.”

She was right. I had heard many whispered words about her marriage to the King and had seen how they acted towards one another first hand. The King fell madly in love with her when they met a few weeks before their wedding, but she did not return the feelings. Her heart rested with someone else. I absolutely could not disagree with her hatred the King.

“I can tell you one thing that is for certain.” She said. “This child will bring you closer than you ever have been before. Whatever is between the two of you now will be magnified. As soon as you look into your baby’s eyes, your perspective on life shifts.”

I looked at her speculatively. “You and the King have many children and you do not seem very close.”

She laughed quietly. “You did not see what we used to be like. The first few months of our marriage were pure distain. He claimed to love me, but he treated me as dirt. When Alexander was born, we had much more respect for one another. I cannot imagine how we would be today if there was any real love between us.”

“I hope you are right.”

“I am. That child will unite you on at least one thing. You would do anything for him or her.”

I wasn’t sure if her words were true, but I did expect to love my child more than anything as I already loved it so much.

One thing I was not expecting was what happened that night. I awoke suddenly. At first, I was not sure why. But before I had too much time to think about it, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I stayed still for a few more minutes before coming to an unmistakable conclusion. The baby was coming.

Author's Note- I know this chapter is short, but I just wanted to post something before I went away this weekend. Have a really great Easter if you celebrate. xoxo -B